Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: I ain't seen that in...yonks!

Default Re: Pulling the chain

The War Cry being sold down the pub on a Saturday nite by an old dear from the Sally Army..no matter how p***ed you were you always popped some money in the tin
    The eyes have it!

Default Re: Pulling the chain

My dad always used to come home drunk with a copy of The War Cry for me seem to remember there was a cartoon charcter in there called Sam Spud.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Default Re: I ain't seen that in...yonks!

The village I grew up in still has a red phone box, my high school had chain toilets in some of its buildings and our soda stream is still in existence (although not in use) and still adorned with a decade's worth of fruit stickers after I got banned from putting them on the fridge.
    Having said that, there are a few things I haven't seen in yonks:
    - the original lineup of books by Jean Ure and Jaqueline Wilson, which were always around when I was young but I think they got superseded by newer and trendier ones by both authors.
    - Corona fizzy drinks, with deposits on the glass bottles (yes, I am just about old enough to remember these - and young enough that the returned deposit seemed like a lot of money!)
    - Panini stickers and albums, although this might be because I wouldn't know where to look these days.
    - The BBC test card, on the TV as opposed to youtube
    - Public information films of the sort discussed in the TV forum here - maybe kids today are more easily traumatised than we were then?? (Apaches, btw, was *nothing* to some of the posters the older kids at my primary school came up with themselves when set a competition to design an ad campaign against messing around on farms - loads of red paint!) I always rather liked them for some reason, obviously turning into a goth already...
    I'm your duck

Quote Originally Posted by dunstall View Post
    always had a bird in hot pants on the cover. Elton john was one b4 he made it.
    lol
    Last edited by stevef; 20-10-2008 at 03:55.
    "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Some drunken prat thinking he was the funniest person alive cos he had one of those collar and leads with wire inside to keep it rigid.Pretending his invisible dog is pulling him all over the place - oh how we didn't laugh

Saw a man in Blackpool with one of those last week but one Danny *rofl*
    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
    www.doyouremember.co.uk <<< why not visit our main website

Can't believe they still doing that and thinkin they so-o-o-o funny ,MUPPETS!

I always thought it was only white poodles who done the white poo . Noticed you all call fizzy juice 'pop' ?? Am I the only kid who called it 'ginger' then?

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Noticed you all call fizzy juice 'pop' ?? Am I the only kid who called it 'ginger' then?
    If it was flavoured carbonated water ( i.e. Seven Up, Cola, Cream Soda etc)- it was Pop - the only one we'd call ginger would be Ginger Beer / Ale
    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
    www.doyouremember.co.uk <<< why not visit our main website

Quote Originally Posted by joybee View Post
    If it was flavoured carbonated water ( i.e. Seven Up, Cola, Cream Soda etc)- it was Pop - the only one we'd call ginger would be Ginger Beer / Ale
    I think Pop was more of a northern expression. Growing up in South London, the only time I heard these drinks called Pop was in comics, mostly from IPC and DC Thomson. Most of whose writers were northerners. We just called Cola 'cola' and 7Up '7Up'.