School sports/PE/Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PE and Games

At Secondary school we used to alternate between in-door and out-door games. When it was in-door we typically split into teams for games like football and British Bulldogs. I can remember the groans from some kids when the PE Teacher said that it was team games because that meant 'skins' verses 'tops'. Skins basically meant no PE top and Tops meant keep your nice baggy white shirt on. So many overweight kids ran around in 'skins' in the gym, and the ribbing went on for the rest of the day. Hadn't the school ever heard of over-shirt vests or tags?

Oh yes, it was an all boys school

My one memory of PE at Middle school was doing all I could to get out of it. PE at Middle school was very different from PE at First school. I can remember doing PE the first week and having no clue at all about football, and just getting wet and cold for what seemed like hours. The next week I managed to wangle a sick note from my mum so sat in the library instead. However, the following week a mate brought in a sick note from his mum and it not only excused him from PE but also me and 3 other mates. We had a lovely class teacher and she let the rest of the class go, hid us under a table while the PE teacher walked the class from the changing rooms to the field, and then we spent the rest of the afternoon helping to clean up the classroom. Will always remember that

PE at First school was either 'music and movement' or spending most of the lesson getting out mats, wooden horses, ropes, trying very hard to get over wooden horses and up ropes, and then putting it all away. So much effort but not much achieved.

Comment

Great memories there, Scooby

Comment

I used to have a recurring nightmare as a child where I'd be lying on the empty mat trolley and everyone would start throwing all the mats on top of me until I was crushed Don't know where it came from as I used to really enjoy PE! Managed to reach the dizzy heights of a '9' on the 10 step award
        1976 Vintage

Comment

My memories are pretty much the same as everyone elses, we also had the wooden equipment at the back of the hall, I could never make it all the way across the monkey bars.
          We had 'the ropes' which were on huges tracks that swung out across the hall had you had to wind a wheel to make the ropes open and close like a massive pair of curtains!
          Thats another thing I could never do, climb the ropes to the top
          Wooden benches had many uses balance beems, slides etc.
          My school also had movement and dance I remember starting off on the floor rolled up tight which was the seed and we'd work our way up to a fully grown tree and sway in the wind
          We also had different pieces of music played to us and we had to 'feel' the music and find a movement to fit the mood of the music.

Most hated thing about PE doing it in Knickers and vest and those horrid black pump

Not going to talk about PE lessons in high school, scarred for life may I tell you
          Heather

Comment

Re: School sports days...

I think when I first started school, I liked it, when I was about 5/6/7 but then I moved house, moved schools and got a bit podgy, I hated it! When the teachers were deciding who would do what, I would pray they'd forget about me lol but nope, they'd get me doing something like the egg and spoon race, I hate running...... lol

Comment

Sports day at a lot of Primary Schools these days seems to consist of carousel activities rather than actual races.

I loved the sack race, egg and spoon, three legged etc when I was little. At senior school I was great at 100m, 100m hurdles and long jump, mainly cos it was all girls and I was taller than anyone else (at the time). I was diabolically bad at long distance. Once some of the other girls had a growth spurt I had no chance.
              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Originally posted by AmethystWitch View Post
                I think when I first started school, I liked it, when I was about 5/6/7 but then I moved house, moved schools and got a bit podgy, I hated it! When the teachers were deciding who would do what, I would pray they'd forget about me lol but nope, they'd get me doing something like the egg and spoon race, I hate running...... lol
                if its ok to ask did you ever get rid of the podgy way you said you where in school amethyst.

always loved running and still do.

at school sports day i did 800m 1500m sack race etc..

i always enjoyed P E at school.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                  Sports day at a lot of Primary Schools these days seems to consist of carousel activities rather than actual races.

I loved the sack race, egg and spoon, three legged etc when I was little. At senior school I was great at 100m, 100m hurdles and long jump, mainly cos it was all girls and I was taller than anyone else (at the time). I was diabolically bad at long distance. Once some of the other girls had a growth spurt I had no chance.
                  sis you keep doing the 100m 100 hurdles after you left school.
                  seems you really enjoyed sports day jacqueline.

just because other girls got a growth spurt does not mean they will be better than you.
                  more to it than that J.

Comment

We sometimes had PE in the local sports centre, games would consist of either football, basketball or hockey.
                    The school hall had an apparatus which was my highlight. We would either have 'daps' PE or 'barefoot' PE, I preferred the former.

Comment

In primary school we did a lot of stuff with hula hoops and little hand-sized bean bags. The bean bags used to stink! Don't know if it was the dye or beans made out of some toxic industrial waste but it was a real strong chemical smell mixed with years of dust.

I loved the apparatus. We had two ropes and a rope ladder that swung out from the wall. I could get to the top of the rope but always burned my thighs sliding back down. I used to practice climbing up our washing post.

I never mastered the monkey bars. Friends could swing properly from arm to arm. I used to stutter along, having to hold each bar with both hands at a time before falling off half way along. I could never leap frog either.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

I hated PE, we used to have to run around a field, if we didn't run all the way round (if we started walking) we'd have to do it again... I did enjoy Trampolineing and basketball. Hated the assault course we had to do if it was raining outside, had to climb on all sorts of weird stuff and I'm afraid of heights...not good

One point, the PE teachers took us out of school and made us run down all the back alleys of the houses! naturally me and my friend were at the back and the slowest, my aunt saw us and thought we'd bunked off school! she told my mum and she had a fit at the school! as they hadn't got permission to take us out of school and seeing as me and my friend were quite far behind, she said anything could have happened down the alleys, after that no more running down back streets lol

Comment

yo be fair i enjoyed P E.

particularly the running events.
                          100,1500,5,000m etc.

did you ever take up cross country again sixtyten after your punk phase.

did you represent your county in awards etc.

Comment

I feckin' hated PE. Primary school was fine,(I loved the little bean bags and the hula hoops) except for 4th class where our teacher made us play football. My sister brought me back a lovely sparkly little necklace from a school trip to the Isle of Man and it was broken during one of those sessions.

Secondary PE was a nightmare, the teachers were all big, strapping, buffalo-like women. They made us play Basketball- the abuse of it! I wasn't too bad at hockey or rounders though I was always one of the last to be picked for a team.

The showers, I really dreaded. I was mortified at being one of the last to war a bra, I was mortified at still wearing a vest when most of my classmates were fully developed (except for one girl who only had one proper diddy, strange that was, the other one caught up eventually and she was confident enough to live with it).

My last year was grand, that teacher was really chilled, she'd get us to lie on the floor in the gym and relax to Madonna's 'Burnin' Up' (strange choice of relaxing music) week after week or she'd take us for a nice slow walk.

Comment

well ann i was always picked last for everything.
                              for example in footie the others on my team always said leave it don't touch the ball.

did not do much for my confidence.

could never climb ropes either.

Comment

I was really good at some sports and really rubbish at others. Top of the shop in high jump and often at the top for long jump and 100m sprint. I had zero stamina for running though. Always came last in anything over 200m and once threw up after my pitiful efforts in the 1500m which was embarrassing. Couldn't throw a javelin to save my life!

I was average at team games but didn't particularly like them. I was in the netball and rounders teams at primary school but dropped them in high school and hated hockey (too much running!). School never did the things I was interested in like tennis.
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X