Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: School sports/PE/Games

Originally posted by darren View Post
    I think most kids found it embarrassing getting changed showered in front of each other.
    It never occurred to me to feel embarrassed about this because in PE it was just the other boys in my class, whom I knew well and saw all the time. In Rugger, it was the chaps in my team, so we all 'knew' other. The changing rooms were a great place for joking and mucking about despite the schoolmaster supervising us.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      I think most kids found it embarrassing getting changed showered in front of each other.

Teacher is right run up and down and you will build up good sweat and warm up.

That reminds me of having to shower after the lesson, probably after cross-country running or something - one didn't want to get one's uniform wet when one was in there of course. Another reason for wanting to opt out.

I am certain that someone pinched my towel when we were showering, which shall we say, even more embarrassing than just getting changed. Kids were making comments because of how I was at the time, shall we say.

At least you feel as if you have more privacy in the local swimming baths where we went for our swimming lessons than at school.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
        I actually enjoyed the running about outside more than the indoor exercises, even in the cold - especially dry crisp weather with a clear but sky. Often enough it would be a grey damp cold which was less enjoyable until you got warm.

I can remember a PE master admitting that his balls were 'bloody freezing'!
        It reminds me of George Layton's short story The Fib where the protagonist is forced to play football for the school team (goalkeeper) on the coldest Monday mornings of the year, has to put up with bullying, and had to endure a cold shower afterwards. He tried to get out of it by saying that his uncle is Bobby Charlton!

The sadist PE teacher Hicks in the 1981 series of Grange Hill also fits into this category as well.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          It reminds me of George Layton's short story The Fib where the protagonist is forced to play football for the school team (goalkeeper) on the coldest Monday mornings of the year, has to put up with bullying, and had to endure a cold shower afterwards. He tried to get out of it by saying that his uncle is Bobby Charlton!

The sadist PE teacher Hicks in the 1981 series of Grange Hill also fits into this category as well.
          We didn't have anyone cruel like Mr Hicks and I can't remember any bullying associated with these lessons. I must read 'The Fib'. George Layton is a nice Yorkshireman.

Comment

That reminds me of having to shower after the lesson, probably after cross-country running or something - one didn't want to get one's uniform wet when one was in there of course. Another reason for wanting to opt out.

I am certain that someone pinched my towel when we were showering, which shall we say, even more embarrassing than just getting changed. Kids were making comments because of how I was at the time, shall we say.

At least you feel as if you have more privacy in the local swimming baths where we went for our swimming lessons than at school.
            That's a really nasty memory: I'm so sorry it happened to you. It's the sort of thing I'd have stamped on as a Prefect. I don't recall anything like it in the changing rooms: it was mainly good humoured masculine banter and the occasional play fight.

Comment

In the movie 'The Full Monty' the older guy Gerald is talking Dave about being on the stage performing 'The Full Monty' about what happens if he is aroused

He says it happened in the school swimming pool when he was a lad

"There were girls, you know, wearing swimsuits. I had to dive in the deep end & nearly drowned" lol
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

We didn't have anyone cruel like Mr Hicks and I can't remember any bullying associated with these lessons. I must read 'The Fib'. George Layton is a nice Yorkshireman.
                Layton is a brilliant writer - I read the books at school.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                  In the movie 'The Full Monty' the older guy Gerald is talking Dave about being on the stage performing 'The Full Monty' about what happens if he is aroused

He says it happened in the school swimming pool when he was a lad

"There were girls, you know, wearing swimsuits. I had to dive in the deep end & nearly drowned" lol
                  Nice scene, which I recall from the movie. But no danger of it happening at my all-boys school. ...

Comment

That's a really nasty memory: I'm so sorry it happened to you. It's the sort of thing I'd have stamped on as a Prefect. I don't recall anything like it in the changing rooms: it was mainly good humoured masculine banter and the occasional play fight.
                    The memory of it can last long after leaving school - as a New Year's resolution at the start of this year, I decided to sign up for membership of my local leisure centre in order to meet people and make new friends, but I suppose that the reminder of the changing rooms for PE or swimming while I was at school probably put me off a bit from going in there. I know that I was in the "floats and armbands" league at swimming for example, and I thought that I could benefit from membership.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The memory of it can last long after leaving school - as a New Year's resolution at the start of this year, I decided to sign up for membership of my local leisure centre in order to meet people and make new friends, but I suppose that the reminder of the changing rooms for PE or swimming while I was at school probably put me off a bit from going in there. I know that I was in the "floats and armbands" league at swimming for example, and I thought that I could benefit from membership.
                      ... And I hope very much it's working for you and you've made some new friends, as well as getting back the confidence that was wrongly taken from you.

Comment

... And I hope very much it's working for you and you've made some new friends, as well as getting back the confidence that was wrongly taken from you.
                        If I gain the courage to set foot in the front entrance again, I might do just that.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

If I gain the courage to set foot in the front entrance again, I might do just that.
                          I dare you. ...

Comment

I have been dared to do lots of things quite recently...
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Pending how you view it - I wish I was a "Schoolie" Today - Footy is so easy to them/for them .... for any/all School teams I think - this would make for an interesting comparison I think!!

Do any of you guy's recall donning well cheap Footy Boots too? .... imagine that Today, it'd be like doing PE in Pumps not Trainers!!

80sChav

Comment

Congrats to your son.
                                I remember doing an egg and spoon race.I was probably the fastest runner in my class but i couldn't keep the egg on the spoon,
                                Dropped it once went back to the start and just as i was about to cross the finish line i dropped it again.

Also remember a practical joke my brother played on a friend of his .
                                They all got changed for P.E and my bro deliberately put his friend's shorts into someone else's bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X