Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School sports/PE/Games

Did you love it or hate it???
    It's that time of year again for our local schools. My son won a 3rd,2nd and 1st place today, they did the classic Egg and Spoon, a Dolly in a pram race, and going though the hoops, balancing bars etc.
    My Daughters is to be held on Thursday.

I remember being in a sack race and was in front, looked behind me, only to be passed by, by another kid, also did the three legged race and the wheel barrow one, where I was the barrow, and someone held my feet.
    Do you have any stories or nightmares to share
    Heather

Re: School sports days...

I have quite nice memories of YOURS Hev, sitting in the sunshine on the grass at Brookhouse Green cheering you on.........

Oh you meant MINE ?? Hated sport, dodged it if I could, but can remember doing an egg 'n spoon and also hurdles and being petrified of catching the bar and going head first
    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
    <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

mine had theirs today also, not as good as mine were as a kid, i remember egg and spoon races and stuff like that, all they done today is run down a line skip down a line, and couple of ball avents on the playground, and not one stall for us adults, only another ten more years of sports days to go
      sigpic

Comment

LOL not as you are counting hey Bumble, Ryan's Dad did the Fathers race, didn't win though
        Heather

Comment

mine didint have that today either, its all abut the winning now not the taking part
          sigpic

Comment

You had to go and dredge up this didnt you? Oh gawd! I am almost shaking . Right.... one year I was asked to make up the house team and participate in the 200m. I am no runner! My events were more discus...held record for three years... shot putt...broke a teachers toe.... and high jump... no comment!
            Well as luck would have it... this was also my first time ever using starting blocks. I managed to get myself into that foetal crouch that blocks force the body into and then we were off. Only I wasnt so much as off as slipped..... I tried to go one way... the blasted blocks went backwards and I ended up flat on my face with one of the worst cases of gravel rash ever! And my eldest wonders why I hate sports day at school!
            sigpic
            Mrs Oggy
            ~~~*~~~*~~~
            Count your friends amongst the stars....
            And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Oh no, I hated sports day at high school, when the serious events like shot put and high jump came into play, give me the infant school egg and spoon anyday, and dont get me started on swimming relay races.
              Heather

Comment

I broke the 2 middle fingers on my left hand when I was 10 when we were practicing in P.E. for the wheelbarrow race for Sport's Day. I was the barrow and a big hefty lad was pushing me, but he went too fast, I toppled over and he stood on my hand, breaking 2 fingers. In the end Sport's Day got cancelled that year so I was injured for no reason. :cry:

A few years later at secondary school I was put in for the 3000 meters, just to make up the numbers as I had no way of winning. I was obviously last and at least 1 full lap behind all the others as they finished, when a teacher dragged me off the track and told me off for messing about, not realising I was still plodding along with the race I so dismally lost.

Sport's Day sucked

Comment

I always hated sports day, although I was pretty good at the egg and spoon race!

I bet it's seriously different nowadays, no doubt there is Step-parents Race/Lesbian Life-partners Race/Caregiver's Race/and of course the Ethnic Minority Race LMAO

(No offence intended!!)

Comment

Found these in an old box of certificates,not sports day but it was some sort of award scheme.Anyone else remember these:

Comment

At almost every sports day I remember there was a faller in the Dad's race.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

PE and Games

We just MUST have a thread on this subject!

In infant school, there was a thing called 'Music and Movement' that involved moving around the hall while 'Spanish Flea' or 'Walk in the Black Forest' by the Tijuana Brass played through the speakers.

Later, at junoir school, we got out the 'apparatus'. There was a climbing frame, two rings that hung down, a trapese-type thing and two ropes. Then there was the 'vault' or 'horse'. I was pretty hopeless on most of these, though I did manage to do some basic gymnastics and even gained a few badges by completing the 'BAGA' awards.

'Games' at secondary school was another matter. Cross country was the worst; I actually got lost once. No, it wasn't funny. And when it came to soccer, rugby, cricket and tennis, I pretty much gave up. To be honest, I dreaded those lessons more than I can say. I was a little overweight and not only did I find the sports difficult, I hated the getting changed and showers afterwards.

So what are people's memories of PE and Games at primary and secondary school, especially during the 70s and 80s?

Comment

Re: PE and Games

My memories are pretty much the same.
                          We had a huge A frame in junior school (looking back it probably wasn't as big as I recall it), Horses and springboards. Hated that as I have a fear of falling
                          I used to do Cross Country to get out of playing football, which is odd as I was Soccer mad until 1977, when I discovered Punk
                          Later on though, the Cross Country was little more than run to the School gates, get outside and sit around for an hour

Comment

In cross country at secondary school, we had to go round the playing field, through a tunnel under the M1 motorway, round a paddock and back.
                            I just used to sit in the tunnel with my mates for the most part. The teachers couldn't be a**** to check so we always got away with it.

I also did 'Music and Movement'. I remember once being a 'tree' swaying in the wind to 'In The Hall Of Mountain King'.
                            sigpic
                            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

At primary school we had to do this programme every summer called 10 step or something similar, you had to compete in various events such as jumping, running and collecting bean bags etc. Your points got added up over the weeks and your score led to a badge up the ladder. I remember acheiveing a "6 step" one year which was my personal best, P.E was not my thing at all. You sewed the badges onto you p.e skirt/shorts.

Comment

Working...
                              X