Masionettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masionettes

I have just played Heartache Avenue on YouTube (many years ago I also got the 7 inch single in a charity shop as well), and it often made me think why they didn't have further hits in the charts - I know that they released an album the following year with some songs being available in the same place.

The Birmingham-based group featured Jeremy Beadle lookalike (and not Peter Sutcliffe lookalike as some people would say) Lol Mason as the chief singer, and two "model-turned-singer" girls who probably came of age in 1982, and was used as the harmony backing, usually wearing shortish black skirts and white "ankle socks-alike" boots when appearing on Top of the Pops. I thought that they became famous as a result of some long-forgotten early 1980s talent show like The Big Time (Cue Kiki Dee or indeed Pauline Matthews singing "Star") or something, considering the fact that they had appeared from nowhere and when back to nowhere soon afterwards.

The hit got to number seven in the charts towards the end of 1982, and they would have probably been a better candidate for the Christmas number one in that year if it had been released a month earlier, and would have made a better one rather than the Cornetto-singers Renee and Renato with Save Your Love.

Perhaps it was for the best that they only had one hit in the charts? - it was of its time of course.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Masionettes

I vaguely remember the song but not the ones who sang it

Comment

Great how certain songs can spark memories,
      an 60s style song from the 80s one hit wonder

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        I vaguely remember the song but not the ones who sang it
        You are more likely to hear it in Pick of the Pops type programmes - if they do a December 1982 or most likely a January 1983 chart, you will probably hear it then.

I have always wondered what happened to the two females who accompanied Mason in the song - and lots of others do as well.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
        X