The Book Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book Tower

I can remember this from around the end of the 70s. Tom Baker, a book tower and a creepy atmosphere all led to me believing that any building over two flights was surely the dwelling of the devil!! I was only 10 at the time though.
    sigpic

Re: The Book Tower

was the theme tune to this program "im the king of the castle"? I remember a similar program that terrified me, i hated going to see my auntie Lill because she lived in a block of flats.

Comment

Found on line-
      The Book Tower : Yes, of course the book tower. Tom Baker looking moody and reading books. Some actually had parts of them made into live action. A fantastic theme tune written by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Listen to the theme tune here http://www.trembirth.demon.co.uk/sounds/booktow.wav
      Heather

Comment

Originally posted by izzy noho View Post
        was the theme tune to this program "im the king of the castle"? I remember a similar program that terrified me, i hated going to see my auntie Lill because she lived in a block of flats.
        There was a series in the mid/late 70s called "King of the Castle", where a boy, Roland, is involved in an accident with a lift in a tower block and finds himself in a subterranean world where grotesque characters, based on people he knew in the real world, tormented him.

Fulton McKay played his headmaster, who became a Frankenstein-style mad scientist, the local bully became a Samurai warrior, his step mum was a beautiful witch, etc.

Comment

The Book Tower music used to creep me out as a child. You would have thought that they would have tried to be more inviting!

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
            Found on line-
            The Book Tower : Yes, of course the book tower. Tom Baker looking moody and reading books. Some actually had parts of them made into live action. A fantastic theme tune written by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Listen to the theme tune here http://www.trembirth.demon.co.uk/sounds/booktow.wav
            This was variation 16 off his Variations album which also had themes used by other programmes including The South Bank show. It was one of my favourite shows and Tom Baker added that spookiness into the show that made it different from Jackanory

Comment

The Book Tower

I loved this series, i have a feeling Tom Baker and Bernard Bresslaw were hosts.

Comment

Since i started to collect retro tv in the early 2000s The Book Tower (along wih The Boy Who Won The Pools) has been the only thing I remembered from childhood that I can't track down. A few years back I started to licence old tv progs for limited run dvd release, and The Book Tower was on my wish list, but I hit a brick wall- even with decent contacts I struggled to find out who the rights had transferred too after the old tv companies lost their licences, let alone which archive the programmes resided in. It looks like Tom Baker's finest (children's) hour will not be seen again.

The one that really makes me keen to see the BT again is an episode where the 'filmed book' section was about a pair of glasses in a junk shop that, once put on, allowed the boy to see that the shopkeeper was actually a demon. I worked as a librarian for six years and did quite a bit of work/reading trying to find out what this book was, but have never found it. It's something i'd love to find. There arent many single episode programmes that have stuck in my mind for thirty years or so!
                I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I have some eps with Bernard Bresslaw.

Comment

I remember being freaked out by the intro too,
                    I was just reading about this in the TV Cream book,
                    Apparently it was later presented by Neil Innes, Roger McGough & Timmy Mallet !

Comment

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
                      Since i started to collect retro tv in the early 2000s The Book Tower (along wih The Boy Who Won The Pools) has been the only thing I remembered from childhood that I can't track down. A few years back I started to licence old tv progs for limited run dvd release, and The Book Tower was on my wish list, but I hit a brick wall- even with decent contacts I struggled to find out who the rights had transferred too after the old tv companies lost their licences, let alone which archive the programmes resided in. It looks like Tom Baker's finest (children's) hour will not be seen again.

The one that really makes me keen to see the BT again is an episode where the 'filmed book' section was about a pair of glasses in a junk shop that, once put on, allowed the boy to see that the shopkeeper was actually a demon. I worked as a librarian for six years and did quite a bit of work/reading trying to find out what this book was, but have never found it. It's something i'd love to find. There arent many single episode programmes that have stuck in my mind for thirty years or so!

Didn't Peter Davidson (another Dr Who), also do a book show for kids?

Comment

Originally posted by izzy noho View Post
                        The theme was by Andrew Lloyd Webber. King of the Castle was a different series...

Comment

The theme tune rings a bell but never watched it. As I hated Jackanory I probably tarred this with the same brush and switched over. Was it on ITV?
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember the Book tower with it's eerie music loved it, one story sticks in my head was " The silver trumpet " . Only remember Tom Baker though.

Comment

Loved The book tower, even had the theme tune as my ring tone till about a year ago. I can only rememeber Tom Baker presenting.

Comment

Working...
                              X