Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Infant school in the 70s....

Here's one:

The toilet paper that had the same consistency as tracing paper! Yay! The moment it was folded it formed an edge just shy of a razor blade.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
      Here's one:

The toilet paper that had the same consistency as tracing paper! Yay! The moment it was folded it formed an edge just shy of a razor blade.
      Somehow I forgot that, very painful to use.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Although I went to Infants School in the sixties, many of these memories are still the same as mine.

I remember loving the warm mini milk bottles and the paper straw going soggy too quick to drink all the milk through it!

Tuc time also when I could buy my beloved Potato Puffs!

We had metal beakers at school mealtime with great colours. I was a server in my last year at infants and remember everyone wanting the chocolate custard skin. Could never remember who had it last!

Squidgy school chips! Yum!
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
          Although I went to Infants School in the sixties, many of these memories are still the same as mine.

I remember loving the warm mini milk bottles and the paper straw going soggy too quick to drink all the milk through it!

Tuc time also when I could buy my beloved Potato Puffs!

We had metal beakers at school mealtime with great colours. I was a server in my last year at infants and remember everyone wanting the chocolate custard skin. Could never remember who had it last!

Squidgy school chips! Yum!
          Hated milk when I was a kid. One time I spilt the bottle in my lap - ended up standing behind an open cupboard door in my pants while me shorts dried.

School chips had a different taste too. Made them a bit of a treat!

Comment

I certainly recall the little milk bottles - admittedly we're talking 1960s - and the biscuits which were 'Lincoln Creams', later called 'Lincolns'. Are they still sold?

I don't drink milk now. I developed a real problem with the smell.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to live on the same street as my infant/junior school so never had to endure school dinners.

Abiding memories are Peter and jane books, Tootles the taxi (like thomas the tank engine but with motor vehicles). Gumdrop (about a talking vintage car). Local police officers coming in to do safety talks. A road safety booklet featuring a clown kneeling at the side of a zebra crossing and looking like he only had one leg, which a boy in our class duly christened him. Going swimming (when the cubicles were around the pool). The anti vandal posters campaign (vandal maimed, vandal electrocuted etc). Bring a toy buy a toy. These interlocking transparent plastic squares that you couldn't really build much with. The green gym mats with the underside that reminded me of a crumpet. The inverted v climbing frames on wheels (were they as big as they seemed?). Taking the empty milk bottles back to the local cake shop (always rewarded with a free cake). Pump bag with your name sewn on. Annual reading test in the headmasters office. It took me years to get grotesque right.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I had a little canvas satchel when I started school. I loved that bag.

Assemblies. Yuck! Even worse when it was your class giving it.

Comment

My parents have still got a copy of Tootles The Taxi at home.

One thing I remember about assemblies were when one class would put on a play & all their parents & pre-school siblings would be invited to come along.

Almost everytime there would be someone's baby brother or sister crying throughout the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                    I certainly recall the little milk bottles - admittedly we're talking 1960s - and the biscuits which were 'Lincoln Creams', later called 'Lincolns'. Are they still sold?

Ooh I remember Lincoln Biscuits. I don't think I've seen them for years.
                    sigpic
                    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post

Yup, with you there amigo, I've always had an aversion to milk too, it's got to be a primary school phobia;I didn't learn until years later that I had Thatcher to thank for saving me from the horrors of school milk.

I remember Lincoln biscuits, much more dunkable than Rich Tea, although HobNobs have total domination of today's 'dunking market'

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                        Abiding memories are Peter and jane books, Tootles the taxi (like thomas the tank engine but with motor vehicles).
                        Sweet Baby Moses yes! I loved Tootles the Taxi so much I wanted to take it home, but the teacher wouldn't let me. She told my mum that it was the only book I'd ever read, so mum bought me a copy. I recently treated myself to a large tea mug festooned with Ladybird book covers from that era and there, right in yer face is dear old Tootles. Wish I still had the book.

Comment

No memories of Tootles at all.

But if you're interested, Amazon Marketplace may be able to reunite you with a copy.

Comment

Lots of Tootles The Taxi on Ebay tootles, Children's Books, Antiquarian Collectable, Fiction Books items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Comment

Did anyone read the pirate books(different colours as you progressed),I also seem to remember the Fletcher maths books.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper68 View Post
                                Did anyone read the pirate books(different colours as you progressed),I also seem to remember the Fletcher maths books.
                                I cam't remember the Pirate books (I mentioned the Ginn ones before) & there was a series called Story Chesy

I remember the Fletcher Maths ones, the lower ones had a few cartoon characters to help explain things, I can remember a frog, a cat & a monkey, might have been more.

The later ones wern't as "user friendly" & in the last year at primary school we switched to a different series, can't remember the name of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X