Infant school in the 70s....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Infant school in the 70s....

A lot of this is memorable to me. I also seem to equate infant school with hazy Summery afternoons and sunny days...I went in the very early 1980s. I didn't learn much, I cannot recall ever having been taught how to write at infants / primary school - i.e. 'trace over this letter 'a' (lower case) and this upper case 'A' and then copy it underneath when you've practiced enough etc' - My Mum taught me at home, the alphabet, how to read, basic maths etc. I am very thankful for that otherwise my literacy would have been rubbish at school and probably still as its the route cause of adult literacy issues today...She used the Ladybird book of A, B, C' to do all that. All I did at my school was waste time - not me personally but lessons were simply drawing, painting, using hands, potato prints, I think we had a tiny bit of cookery, nativity plays - I was one of the Three Kings! We had many a 'bring toys in day' which my Mum forbade me taking in nice things as other kids would naturally break them out of spite or rough play - at the time I was sad of that but now I'm very glad she used to be that careful. We also played outside on nice days, we had loads of trikes and bikes and my Dad told me he used to like seeing me park the trikes back in the shed at the far end of the playground as he stood at the other end at the gates waiting to collect me...I remember the terapin huts used for hot dinners and packed lunches but I was lucky enough to live down the road from the school so Mum or my Sister would collect me and we could eat a meal at home - which consisted of 'help you grow up food' like mince in gravy, mash potato, tinned boiled carrot slices - bleurgh...lol. Sometimes Mum would let us stay at home afterwards (if she was in a good mood that is!). Otherwise, she'd give us a wash with a flannel to our faces and hands, change our clothes as she felt these places were dirty (lol) and take us back .

If you didn't have packed or hot lunches you couldn't venture into the lunch hut. Period. We had shaped climbing frames - a green circular one, a blue rectangular one and a red one - but I cannot remember the shape - they were all like trees growing out of the ground. I remember being on one like a monkey and saw my Mum wating for me to take me home for lunch and I slipped and bumped my head on a bar and ended up with a very painful bump so she used a damp dish rag and the now off cooker hob ring which she'd heated up and placed the rag on it to warm it a bit and placed it on my bump - we don't feel that cold packs help bumps and lumps, rather heat as it helps the blood flow more and heal the 'wound'...I remember it was painful - for a 4 year old!

We had Mr 'Egghead' Eastwood ring the bell for end of playtimes and for us to all run back in - well, 'WALK DON'T RUN!' Mr Saunders used to play very competitively with the bigger kids football, and foul them something chronic the blighter! We had a steel band which was well known in the local area, I think they appeared in the local paper from time to time and always had a float on the annual carnival the town used to hold back then - it was once a big event back then, sadly not the case now. The older kids were in it from the upper years. A play one year was 'The Magic Carpet', my sister appeared in the bit set in Denmark or Germany, it was rather funny seeing a bowl cutted Asian girl being some Deutch lass with that traditional outfit on and hat...and no blonde wig doing a hand clap dance...I remember she had on pink lipstick which I hated lol. My Dad, being Dad 'thought it was cr-p' on the whole and Mum was very glad she didn't go....lol.

We often got taken to the local parks - via a big double decker bus!!!! It was one of those older ones and I remember vividly one being blue on the outside, like a special charter firm. We'd just play in the park all day...and then go home. They once took us on a special planned trip to Brighton and my mate Andy swopped my nice Corgi Mercedes Benz for his Matchbox Fiat Arbarth, we'd both bought them from the same shop and he kept pleading with me for it, so I caved in and when I wanted to swop back he'd purposely scratched the roof...so I couldn't have it back

It was just one big playtime for me back then...and yes, we had naps, mats to sit on, reading time and we could choose books and then swop with someone else after a while etc, we had teachers that hit you if you were naughty still, Mr Saunders thwacking my Sisters arm for being sat on a desk at playtime and her coming home with a swollen arm and Mum going back after lunch with us and going APE with the overly brutal martinet was hilarious when she recounted it to me years later - the kids in my Sisters classroom found it hilarious seeing Saunders get a dressing down - in FRONT of them!

I'd say those years were the happiest of my life. Everything was simple then....

Comment

Reading through this has brought back a lot of memories. My first teacher is still around, she often catches the bus I'm driving. Recently, I bumped into her in Cardiff. Her daughter was with her. She was in my class up until we went to the comprehensive school. It was the first time I had seen her daughter, Catherine, for about twenty years. One memory she mentioned, was of us being read a story at the end of the day. That was something I really enjoyed.

Another memory is that of leaving the class at the end of the day. The girls would be first to go out. The boys would then be told to go.......Girls would then stand aside, to be out of the way of the stampede. I'm sure some of the teachers used to enjoy our exit!!!
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Thats a wonderful story.
        The teacher u mention must be in her seventies now mate.

Was she your form teacher.

All my INFANTschool teachers are no longer about as far as i know.
        Most where quite old when i was in primary school in there thirties at least.

Originally posted by marc View Post
        reading through this has brought back a lot of memories. My first teacher is still around, she often catches the bus i'm driving. Recently, i bumped into her in cardiff. Her daughter was with her. She was in my class up until we went to the comprehensive school. It was the first time i had seen her daughter, catherine, for about twenty years. One memory she mentioned, was of us being read a story at the end of the day. That was something i really enjoyed.

Another memory is that of leaving the class at the end of the day. The girls would be first to go out. The boys would then be told to go.......girls would then stand aside, to be out of the way of the stampede. I'm sure some of the teachers used to enjoy our exit!!!
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

One treat at our infant school was being chosen to ring the bell to call us in at the end of breaks, lunchtime & going home time It was an electric bell which we enjoyed pressing the button
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            Thats a wonderful story.
            The teacher u mention must be in her seventies now mate.

Was she your form teacher.

All my INFANTschool teachers are no longer about as far as i know.
            Most where quite old when i was in primary school in there thirties at least.
            Darren, yes she is in her seventies now. We did not have form teachers then. They took the class all day. It was only in the last two years of infants that we had two different teachers during the day. One taught us maths (sums has we said then), the other English (reading'n'writing has we said then). Some of our teachers were quite young when they taught us.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I have enjoyed reading through this thread very much and it has brought back so many memories. I started infants school in 1966 or 1967 and then junior school two years later. I used to enjoy the school dinners at infant/junior school, my absolute favourite being chips, fish fingers and peas or baked beans, followed by chocolate shortbread with green mint custard. I remember the brightly-coloured metal water jugs on the tables and the clear, plastic beakers. There was a big hedge at one end of the playing field at infant school and we would search it for cuckoo spit. Also, putting your chairs on the desk at hometime to aid the cleaners. Somehow, whenever I remember those days it is always a warm, early summer day, though I also can recall those bright orange bands the school would sell to sew onto your coat for dark winter mornings and afternoons, plus making a calendar to take home just prior to Christmas.

Comment

September '66 for me!

Attached Files
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

i used to love it at christmas when we did the nativity. i think this pic was taken in the late '70s.

Attached Files

Comment

I remember the annual visit of the photographer. He came every year from starting infants to the end of my secondary education. Ours never took any class photographs, just of individuals unless you had a sibling at the school. Then the 2 week wait for teacher to hand out proofs for you to take home to see if your parents wanted to buy one. Mine always did; I think they felt obliged to do so, even though those photographs could be less than flattering.

Comment

Working...
                    X