Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iconic Tv moments

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
    Was there any particularly memorable wrestling match between Big Daddy Crabtree and Giant Haystacks? Or even wrestling events in general. I haven't looked at any in decades but I remember my grandfather always watched wrestling avidly for years. There was quite a variety of it back then.
    My Aunt loved watching wrestling on ITV on Saturday afternoons in 60s early 70s

Comment

Big Daddy was to present Central TV's Saturday Show on Saturday mornings, but for some reason he decided to drop out at the last minute and was replaced by Tommy Boyd - the thing about that (and it might not have been the main reason why he dropped out) was the fact that he was still doing the live wrestling on Saturday afternoons, and I assumed that he probably wouldn't have been able to do both on Saturdays - perhaps it was the reason why he turned the Saturday Show job down?
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The name Kendo Nagasaki is a bit like Karate Tokyo, so I'm assuming it's a 'stage' name. Maybe most are, but I remember one of the most well known in Canada was Gene Kiniski without a nickname even. Others used a last name after a nickname, this we could keep track of Mad Dog Vaschon being a different person from Mad Dog Maretti.

Big Daddy seems a great larger than life character! Having been into the ska revival I sort of relate him to Buster Bloodvessel of the group Bad Manners. Central ITV was Birmingham if I have things straight. Thanks for the responses!

Someone should rerun old wrestling programs from the past. They were reshowing old ice hockey games here and it was quite interesting to see games from as far back as the 1950s. They showed the 1967 Toronto Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup (haven't won one since) and there were names of players I only know mainly from trophies and a restaurant chain. I'd love to see some classic World Cup matches, starting with the 1966 final!

I guess I'm just generally a looking back sort of person; I was always asking my mother what the one block street we live on was like when she was little and also lived on it. I wonder if she has even had much curiosity about what it was like before her time? In 77 years she moved five houses down to the one her Godparents had built out of a smaller farm house. She would've heard my grandfather listening to hockey on the radio back then (apparently she hated the announcer's shrill voice, that is very much like me).
        Last edited by beccabear67; 11-11-2020, 21:44.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
        X