RIP Frank Windsor - actor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Frank Windsor - actor

The actor Frank Windsor, born Frank W Higgins, who was an actor whose career spanned 50 years, and was famous for appearing in Z Cars and its spin-off Softly, Softly, has died at the age of 92 - no relation to the Royal Family but he was very much the King of many drama series.

In the 1970s he was a frequent face on British television screens, mostly appearing in police dramas such as Z Cars as well as spin-off Softly, Softly. Back then, he had quite a nasally voice which was similar in tone to someone like Peter Sallis or Ken Livingstone, although by the 1990s the voice seem to change. In around 1977 he was also seen in the commercial breaks, advertising a brand of cigar for around 44p for a pack of six - assumingly, he was a cigar smoker in his day as well.

Most recent generations (mostly students and shift-workers) may well remember him in the daytime commercial breaks advertising Sun Life's Over 50 Plan in the late 1990s and early 2000s, rubbing shoulders with the "have you had an accident in the last three years?", and Third World charity adverts. Windsor told the stereotypical audience who would most likely to be watching - (i.e. those who had taken early retirement to watch Countdown and antiques shows), that from £6.00 a month they could be in receipt of a life-long insurance plan that could pay cash on death to help pay for funeral expenses (ironic now after what has just happened, methinks), and they could expect to receive a commentary pen or even a Mr and Mrs-style carriage clock if one decided to telephone the 0800 number on the screen.

There was one main catch: one had to be between the age of 50 and 80 which made Windsor a good "celebrity spokesman" for the commercials as he was still in his 60s and 70s. Lo and behold, when he reached the age of 80, Windsor had to retire from appearing in the daytime advertisement. Victor Lewis-Smith even took the Mickey out of one of them on Ads Infinitum.

Ironically for a person who had frequently referred to funeral expenses when appearing in the Sun Life commercials on daytime television, Windsor's own wishes during the present course of the coronavirus pandemic was the fact that there would be no funeral or memorial service, and just a private cremation with his ashes being laid to rest next to his late son David who died in a car crash at the age of 29.

In later years he was one of the many guest stars to get the Holby treatment in Casualty, and the Cardale experience in Peak Practice. Windsor is survived by his wife Mary and daughter Amanda.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: RIP Frank Windsor - actor

He also appeared in the Miracle Grow adverts as well, apparently.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
    X