TV drama - Children crossing a desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV drama - Children crossing a desert

Have the vaguest memory of a children's TV drama - possibly a series, not sure. It would have been shown on British TV in the early 1980's (just possibly, late 70's) - probably on the BBC. I doubt it was made by the BBC.

The story mainly involves at least two children (probably a brother and sister) making a long journey across a desert. During this, they run incredibly low on water. I don't recall that are completely alone on this trek - there may be more than 1 adult...

...but I do remember that the person who was meant to guide them cannot as he ill, having been bitten by a scorpion before they start (possibly this bit is undramatised).

That's about all I remember, except them draining their water bottles to the last drop.

Many thanks for any help remembering,

John

Re: TV drama - Children crossing a desert

Sounds like that Jenny agutter movie

walkabout

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post

walkabout
      Thanks for the suggestion... but it's certainly not that film (which I've seen, but much later).

This was definitely a drama primarily aimed at/for children.

I don't think it was set in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post

walkabout
        Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was thinking it was Walkabout. But held out because it was mentioned above that it may have been a series

Comment

Hi - thanks for the suggestions.

For some reason, my much earlier follow-up hasn't show up here. It said basically:

No, it definitely _wasn't_ Walkabout. This was not a feature film, and it was aimed at children - may be 12 year olds for it's central audience - it didn't just feature children.

And I'm 99% certain it wasn't set in Australia.

It was a brother and sister, crossing the Sahara probably, or perhaps Arabia... with at least one adult as guide - but not the proper guide they were going to go with.

I think they were to be reunited with their father, who was somehow on the other side of the desert.

Comment

Only a partial match - and way too recent for your time frame - but could you be thinking of A Far Off Place?
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Far_Off_Place

Comment

Thanks - that looks a really interesting film, but it wasn't that, as you suggest.

The programme that's nagging at me was shown on the BBC in the early 1980's. But I've a feeling it wasn't a UK productions - and I suppose it might have been made earlier that that - in the 1970's perhaps.

It was definitely a colour production though.

Comment

Thanks - that looks a really interesting film, but it wasn't that, as you suggest.

The programme that's nagging at me was shown on the BBC in the early 1980's. But I've a feeling it wasn't a UK productions - and I suppose it might have been made earlier that that - in the 1970's perhaps. And the https://writemyessay4me.org/research-paper service

It was definitely a colour production though.
                  So
                  no luck find out the name of the show yet?
                  I'm really interested in the results
                  Last edited by bredd33; 08-12-2020, 22:39.

Comment

I've come back to this and I've worked out what it was. On 13th August 1979 at 10:15am, BBC 1 showed the first part of:

Desert Adventure
                    An eight-part serial from Poland
                    Stas and Nel, two children whose fathers are working on the Suez Canal, are living near Port Said in 1884, a time of trouble and unrest in the Sudan.

The BBC had first screened it in 1977, but as I was only 4, I'm sure it was the summer holidays re-screening in 1979 that I remember. And I certainly didn't see all of it. The showed the 8 episodes on consecutive weekdays.

It turns out the BBC had re-cut a 3 part Polish mini-series of 1974. This itself had been edited (and slightly lengthened) from a Polish film of the previous year:
                    W Pustyni i w Puszczy

It's very satisfying to have finally nailed that one down. The film is available (undubbed and un-subtitled) on YouTube. The scorpion being despatched is 18 minutes in...

Comment

Was it called Jepardy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cantabrigian View Post
                        I've come back to this and I've worked out what it was. On 13th August 1979 at 10:15am, BBC 1 showed the first part of:

Desert Adventure
                        An eight-part serial from Poland
                        Stas and Nel, two children whose fathers are working on the Suez Canal, are living near Port Said in 1884, a time of trouble and unrest in the Sudan.

The BBC had first screened it in 1977, but as I was only 4, I'm sure it was the summer holidays re-screening in 1979 that I remember. And I certainly didn't see all of it. The showed the 8 episodes on consecutive weekdays.

It turns out the BBC had re-cut a 3 part Polish mini-series of 1974. This itself had been edited (and slightly lengthened) from a Polish film of the previous year:
                        W Pustyni i w Puszczy

It's very satisfying to have finally nailed that one down. The film is available (undubbed and un-subtitled) on YouTube. The scorpion being despatched is 18 minutes in...

good find, thanks for coming back to tell us what it was
                        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                        X