100th Birthdays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100th Birthdays

This week, a long deceased relative of mine would have celebrated their 100th birthday if they had still been alive (he passed away back in the 1990s), and it made me think about those who were born in 1920 and are still with us in 2020 to reach their 100th birthday, despite the challenging times of the coronavirus that we have had for a few months, and perhaps for a few months more. Captain Sir Tom Moore is obviously one of them. I will drink a toast to my late relative this weekend in order to coincide with what would have been his birthday.

Certainly, I used to think of famous people such as the Queen Mother, George Burns and Bob Hope as examples of people reaching the age of 100 - and the achievement of doing so also "outlives" what the three people were known for in the first place, in other words, they are known just as much for their longevity as they are for their primary claim to fame . The British tradition of reaching 100 and getting a card from the Queen seems to be very British indeed - and a one off, because how many of those centurions actually make it to 105? I know that more than 14,000 living British people at the moment would have made it to three figures.

Is it good to live to a ripe old age, does it not make much difference these days? Once you are 65, retirement beckons, and hobbies seem to replace work in many ways.

Has there been anyone you have known who have reached the age of 100, be it a friend or relative?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: 100th Birthdays

Prince Philip is 99.my dad would have been 100 my aunt his sister would have been 105 my uncle would have been 103.Funningly I do think about family members the year they were born and how old they would be today if still around.If your still in good sound mind and are happy to be living that long then enjoy each precious day left.Myself I know that I will not get to that age and no do I want to be a burden,I'd rather go well before then you have to keep yourself busy and mobile.My neighbour is 80 cannot see has to wear a hearing aid can only walk to the bathroom and back relies on her 82 yr old husband to do everything and she is suffering with dementia so both are going through challenging times

Comment

I've not known anyone directly but my Uncle's Mum lived well into her 90s, though I only met her once or twice.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        Prince Philip is 99.
        Do you think his wife will send him a card next year if he makes it?
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          Do you think his wife will send him a card next year if he makes it?
          Good question

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            Good question
            She certainly did for her mother back in 2000, so anything's possible...
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              She certainly did for her mother back in 2000, so anything's possible...
              To my darling Philip lol

Comment

Drunk a toast to him yesterday - ironic that the Queen's Birthday Honours was at the weekend as well because of the birthday greetings Her Majesty sends.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X