The Likely Lads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Likely Lads

I first got interested in TLL by watching the film sometime in the 1980s. When WHTTLL was repeated in full in the 1990s I managed to watch almost all of them.

My parents were amused that Bob looked more a fasion victim than Terry did by that time, when originally it was the other way round.

The exteriors were filmed in Killingsworth New Town, which looks a lot like the estate my parents first house was on (I was too young to remember it).

Here's a really good link: http://www.getcartertour.pwp.blueyon...lads/index.htm
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My favourite line from the show was when Bob was telling Terry about his new boss, adding 'he's from THE SOUTH', to which Terry replies 'what, Middlesbrough?'

The link to the Darlington paper that's earlier in this thread, about the guys' alleged fall-out, is gone. I just know that Bolam isn't keen on reviving the programme at all, whereas Bewes is very happy with all the nostalgia. Mind you, that's probs cause Bolam's been in loads of other programmes, and Bewes hardly seems to have worked since and might see it as the peak of his career. I imagine Bolam would be far happier talking about New Tricks rather than something from 40 years ago! (Like I remember seeing David Soul, when about to appear in Mack and Mabel at Manchester Palace Theatre, getting extremely irate with a local TV news reporter who kept asking him about Starsky and Hutch, I thought Soul was going to walk out he was doing that much tutting and sighing!)

Comment

I like the episode early on when the guys were putting the make on "Frieda" the older woman and Terry, ever persistant got a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Marabelle View Post
          I like the episode early on when the guys were putting the make on "Frieda" the older woman and Terry, ever persistant got a chance.
          There's a lesson there somewhere.

I love the way they talked: "Aye, it's a canny pint though but!" Long live the Geordie accent!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            The exteriors were filmed in Killingsworth New Town, which looks a lot like the estate my parents first house was on (I was too young to remember it).

Here's a really good link: http://www.getcartertour.pwp.blueyon...lads/index.htm
            I live a couple of miles away from Killingworth and often went there as a child. It had a huge, ugly complex of concrete blocks of flats and walkways - your typical 1960's vision of urban utopia. I remember one block was built right over the main road and had a big metal mural of George Stephenson's Rocket above the tunnel. All the flats were demolished in the mid-80's but one tiny block remains and always reminds me of its former glory/horror when I see it. On the up side, they did build a huge lake there as part of the 'vision' and that remains and is very nice.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I think that if the actors had not fallen out the show would have gone on through the 70's and into the 80's, maybe even the 90's. I always thought that one day Terry's son(long lost perhaps) would start dating Bob's daughter, and that the show would end with Bob & Terry as two grand dads still in the pub.

Comment

The writers did have an idea of a revival in the 1990s, with Bob's firm going bust & Terry getting a lot of money in compensation for an accident.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Tricky Thanks for the site...really interesting to see what is there today.
                  Looks much better but the old ones have their charm as well.

Comment

Tricky Thanks for the site...really interesting to see what is there today.
                    Looks much better but the old ones have their charm as well.
                    Not my link - all thanks to Richard for posting! As a Geordie it is great for me to see all of those places as they were then. My favourite comparison is the one at Manors car park. Just look at how those little trees have grown! I do a lot of work around Cruddas park flats. Unfortunately it is still a very run down area of Newcastle. There's a similar site showing comparison shots from the film Get Carter. I think it's by the same guy.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

Is this the same Newcastle that makes Newcastle Brown Ale?

Comment

Is this the same Newcastle that makes Newcastle Brown Ale?
                        It certainly is
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

I love that!

Comment

'The Likely Lads' film was on ITV3 one night earlier this week. Only saw the start (was on late), but was great to see parts of Newcastle, some long gone.

They went for a last pint at their 'local' The Fat Ox, which was on some old terraced streets in South Benwell, which were being knocked down at the time (hence being written into the story).

Also a great line from Terry (Bolam) when bob comes to see him fishing....

"You want a coffee? I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six"

As for the lack of repeats on TV, that is down to James Bolam who has blocked repeats of the TV series being shown.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-years-on.html

MJ

Comment

Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads is repeated quite a lot on Sky. As are some of the B&W series of Likely Lads. The christmas special WHTLL was shown on FIVE christmas just gone.
                              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Just remembered James Bolam got on a bus I was on a few years ago, heading into Newcastle. Nobody seemed to notice, even though he stood at the front as there were no seats. Perhaps it's because you never really see famous people in Newcastle and, well, you'd never expect to see JB on a bus in Jesmond!
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X