• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Was Your Favourite Thing About Christmas When You Were Young,

Making a list for Santa

Comment

Remember one year, 1987, we stayed awake til around 1 ish, heard a noise coming from the roof, which sounded like Santa's sleigh stopping. We were so excited.
      Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

Mam paid in to some weekly club and got a hamper at Christmas time with obscure goodies we would never normally have day to day.
        game soup, lobster bisque etc,
        was always a thrill opening the hamper box
        Christmas really only started for me when we got the festive season radio and tv times that covered the Xmas fortnight. Being the youngest , I was always last for perusal , but the stuff that was to be broadcast over the hols got me in the Xmas spirit. It was spotting and marking out the obscure programmes tucked away on early/late , or on bbc2 that made me feel really festive

Comment

Christmas trees lit up in peoples front windows

Comment

This last year was our first without a real tree in the living room. However for the scent we did still bring in a few pine boughs.

I try to see at least a bit of the Queen's message because I know it will not be possible to have one at some point, or it'll be that bagpipe wrestler (Charles) or even his son. A family friend usually watches some of one of the midnight masses that get televised with a choir, and the rest of us are fine with that. It's going to be a very scaled back Chrimbo around here, but it's been going in that direction for awhile.

Does anyone else do the ricing of potatoes thing? We now have two of these vintage devices having inherited one. You put the boiled spud minus jacket into it and push a lever down and it comes out the holes of a cylinder looking kind of like rice (or angel-hair pasta if it weren't crumbly at all). Somehow I thought this might be one of our English heritage things like a plate of bread and butter on the table.
            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime1980 View Post
              Remember one year, 1987, we stayed awake til around 1 ish, heard a noise coming from the roof, which sounded like Santa's sleigh stopping. We were so excited.
              Turned out to be a chimney sweep with the wrong address?

Here it'd be either squirrels or a woodpecker we can't seem to scare off long...

We had some exposure to the Sinter Klaus and his now un-PC sidekick from the Netherlands side of the family. It was worth it to put up with all that for the stroopwaffels and speculas biscuits though!
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Queens speech at 3pm

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  Queens speech at 3pm
                  Funny day for the State Opening of Parliament to be on.

But yes, Her Majesty has always been there at 3.00 pm on Christmas Day. Didn't take too much notice when I was younger, but these days, I have glass of sherry in hand before the Christmas dinner while watching it.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    Funny day for the State Opening of Parliament to be on.

But yes, Her Majesty has always been there at 3.00 pm on Christmas Day. Didn't take too much notice when I was younger, but these days, I have glass of sherry in hand before the Christmas dinner while watching it.
                    My parents would be snoozing in the chairs after Christmas lunch lol.missing her majesty's speech

Comment

Not hearing about Christmas until we were well into December.

It sort of made it feel a lot more special then what it is now.

Comment

Santa's birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                          Not hearing about Christmas until we were well into December.

It sort of made it feel a lot more special then what it is now.
                          To be fair though, the first Sunday in advent is likely to be the final Sunday in November, and I suppose that it is acceptable to start celebrating Christmas from that point. But yes, as soon as the Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day has happened, the shops go in full flow, and it is Christmas already for them. A branch of Tesco already had a Christmas tree up in November, for goodness sake!
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime1980 View Post
                            Santa's birthday.
                            I know that it is Jesus' birthday - I don't know about Santa's.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Going into woolworth to purchase a box of Christmas cards for my friends in primary class

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                                I know that it is Jesus' birthday - I don't know about Santa's.
                                Definitely Santa's. Jebus never existed.

Comment

Working...
                                X