What Was Your Favourite Thing About Christmas When You Were Young,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Was Your Favourite Thing About Christmas When You Were Young,

When I was growing up, we had next to nowt money wise, but my parents, who had 5 kids to buy for, always tried their best, and I always got the hand me down games consoles from my ex brother, until around '93, when they bought me a brand new SNES.

Waking up at 3:30 and running down stairs to unwrap the presents.

Finding that Mince, our dog, had ate all the chocolate shapes hanging from the tree, and the tree still standing. Still to this day don't know how he did it.
    Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime1980 View Post
      When I was growing up, we had next to nowt money wise, but my parents, who had 5 kids to buy for, always tried their best, and I always got the hand me down games consoles from my ex brother, until around '93, when they bought me a brand new SNES.

Waking up at 3:30 and running down stairs to unwrap the presents.

Finding that Mince, our dog, had ate all the chocolate shapes hanging from the tree, and the tree still standing. Still to this day don't know how he did it.
      I’m guessing somebody else ( young) ate the chocolates and set the dawg up ... presumably leaving wrappers on the floor or near the dog basket ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My ex brother tried to take credit for it, but my dad had slept downstairs the Eve night. He heard nothing.
        Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

Going to see Santa in his grotto

Comment

Hmm, getting up in the early hours and finding loads of pressies, except for that one year where Santa, I mean my parents were too lazy to sneak the stuff into me n my sis's room and just had it in their's :cry:

Having a black rubbish bag almost half full of sweets that would last you till april then you just be left with the sweets you didn't like

Having family members round to stay - grandparents etc

WisH I could turn the clock back - happy memories

Today for our daughter we put everything downstairs - When we were young most of the pressies was from Santa

We tell our daughter that Santa only gives her one pressie (usually what she wanted - never the most expensive tho) just so's her pals don't go "Why did Santa give you a better pressie than me?"
            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
              WisH I could turn the clock back - happy memories
              We did on Sunday morning (sorry, couldn't resist).

But yes, I would turn it back to around 1983 to 1986.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A few things being allowed to go down on chrimbo morning had to wait till i was allowed.

Opening the pressies tearing off the paper in excitement.
                Seeing what the telly had on to watch.

Over the yrs christmas day tv aint as good.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Waking up to find all the presents at the bottom of the bed

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    Waking up to find all the presents at the bottom of the bed
                    Yes, that what happened to me as well - I used to think that the bedroom was a really magical place during the early hours of Christmas Day in the early to mid 1980s.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My parents used to leave my presents outside my bedroom door, & I insisted that they left some there even when we started to leave them under the tree. It was only in my late teens when I stopped doing this.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        My parents used to leave my presents outside my bedroom door, & I insisted that they left some there even when we started to leave them under the tree. It was only in my late teens when I stopped doing this.
                        I don't think that my parents would have done that - with the landing light switched off and being so close to the top of the stairs, shall we say that leaving objects on the floor outside would have been a bit dangerous? I once left something outside my door and my late mother tripped over it as the light was switched off.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Going to see the pantomime on boxing day

Comment

I had the great good fortune to be born in Birmingham, so we got to see the real Santa, who lived in the grotto on the top floor of Lewis's department store. The queue to see him snaked all the way down six or seven flights of stairs and half-way down the street, but it added to the excitement and no-one minded waiting. Everything about that time of year was exciting: putting up decorations, dressing the tree, the card mail service at school, whatever Blue Peter was up to any particular year. And didn't there used to be just something in the air? God, how I miss it!

Comment

The best bit was the build up, looking in the Toys in the Argos or Marshall Ward catalogue to see what toys i would hope to be lucky enough to get.
                              The anticipation of xmas morning on xmas eve night.
                              The decorations
                              the TV shows, it was the only time we'd buy the TV Times or Radio Times and would get both to plan our xmas viewing.
                              The sweets.
                              XMas Dinner
                              Opening presents with my family
                              Billy Smart's Circus
                              The queen's message
                              Crackers
                              Snowball drinks
                              staying up late
                              family visiting
                              xmas shopping
                              the magic of santa
                              everything

Comment

For me it was the food! Many being things you only got once a year... creamed celery, roast turkey and stuffing, 'riced' potatoes, brussel sprouts, both trifle and Christmas pudding for desert, Japanese mandarin oranges in green tissue, eggnog (with rum when old enough), squeeze cheese tubes to squeeze onto wafers, stuffed olives, smoked oysters and rollmop pickled herring! And then boxing day it was leftovers and it was still great food!

I also liked it when someone would bring crackers for everyone, didn't happen every year, then you got to see even old aunties or your grandad in daft paper hats!

I liked seeing that Rudolph Reindeer special every year too, the stop-motion one with Burl Ives as a singing snow man and a dentist elf... I never get tired of seeing at least some of it to know it's Christmas, that's probably to me what that one Slade song is to most people.
                                Last edited by beccabear67; 02-11-2020, 05:31.
                                My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                                X