Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please, Please, Someone must remember...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, Please, Someone must remember...

Can anyone tell me the name of a 1980's kids drama/mini series shown on BBC (after school time). If I recall it was about a young boy who ends up down the mines in either Wales or Cornwall (I think there was an accident involved)in I think early Georgian/Victorian times. There is a girl in it who this lad thinks cannot speak (but does at the end) and, at one stage he thinks she has died. Later he meets the girl at a stately home (seems she was rich) and I'm sure he was wearing a Pierrot clown type costume and he has been addopted by this girls family or something. I have been trying to find out about this for years but cannot remember the name etc. Can anyone help?

Re: Please, Please, Someone must remember...

Moondial is a British television serial made for children by the BBC and transmitted in 1988. It was written by Helen Cresswell, who also wrote the novel on which the series was based.
    The story deals with a young girl staying with her aunt after her mother is injured in a car accident. Minty (Siri Neal) spends much of her time wandering around the grounds of a nearby mansion, and is drawn to a sundial that enables her to travel back in time to the Victorian era, where she becomes involved with two children, Tom (Tony Sands) and Sarah (Helena Avellano) and must save them from their own unhappy lives.

The west entrance to Belton House near Grantham in Lincolnshire, the setting for Moondial

Regarded as a nostalgic favourite by followers of 1980s BBC children's drama, Moondial employs extensive location filming (in the grounds of Belton House in Lincolnshire) and fantastical, dreamlike imagery.
    The series was produced by Paul Stone and directed by Colin Cant. Other cast members include Valerie Lush as Minty's aunt Mary, Arthur Hewlett as the elderly, mysterious Mr. World and Jacqueline Pearce in the dual role of the vicious Victorian Miss Vole and the present-day ghost hunter Miss Raven.

Comment

I remember The Moon Dial, and have read the book but this show isn't it. It was I think in 3 parts but definately not the MoonDial.

Comment

Could it have been "Our John Willie", which was on BBC childrens' telly in the early 80s and based on a Catherine Cookson novel, I think?

Comment

Working...
        X