3D Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3D Glasses

Another use of 3D was a short lived console from Nintendo where you inserted your head into something resembling a diving mask on a tripod. By all accounts this was sure to give the user neck and back strain along with eye & head ache.

One 3d system which didn't need glasses was the Cine 2000 at Alton Towers, which used a dome shaped screen on a ceiling.

Many years ago my Dad & uncle were walking past this & noticed someone walking out of it while resisting the urge to make a pavement pizza, & both though they must see what was inside.

By the early 1990s it had been replaced by a system using clear frosted glasses, also used a Granada Studios.

I've seem a similar system to Cine 2000 at the theme park near the Needles, which was hard to stand up while watching it.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      Another use of 3D was a short lived console from Nintendo where you inserted your head into something resembling a diving mask on a tripod. By all accounts this was sure to give the user neck and back strain along with eye & head ache.

One 3d system which didn't need glasses was the Cine 2000 at Alton Towers, which used a dome shaped screen on a ceiling.

Many years ago my Dad & uncle were walking past this & noticed someone walking out of it while resisting the urge to make a pavement pizza, & both though they must see what was inside.
      there were 2 of these at Alton Towers at one point in the 80's

I can remember tiny bits of the film(s?) they showed...one was from teh drivers seat perspective of a car zooming down a windy mountain/through a village prob in the Italian Alps

Another was swinging like a ball and chain, the 'ball' bit coming 'out of the camera' toward your eyes

Also a ladder and a spiked pole being lifted & swung round, so the end came out towards you
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

That sounds like the sort of stuff on show.

Comment

The Nintendo is the stuff of legend. The graphics were one colour - red.

And not just any shade of red - it was one of those colours that you know you're not going to get on with. I saw a screenshot from the tennis game - ouch!

If you want to check it out, it was called Virtual Boy.

Comment

I saw Friday the 13th Part III in 3-D at the cinema and possibly also Invaders from Mars.

In the 1970s I collected Super 8 cine films and had a copy of Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3-D. The film came with 3-D glasses--red and blue lenses--and the 3-D effects were superb, particularly the underwater scenes.

Comment

I mentioned the 3D glasses in the Wearing Glasses thread, and as recently as a few years ago I saw a 3D film at a Cineworld while wearing them. I don't think that they were the same as the ones that were around in the 1980s that you got with Look In and TV Times.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The ones I wore in the cinema in the 1980s and that were given with my copy of Creature from the Black Lagoon were simple cardboard spectacle frames with one red and one blue lens made of plastic. There was also a short-lasting fad for 3-D films in the 50s as well as the 80s. In the 50s cinemas were desperate to pry audiences from the growing TV market.

Comment

I love 3D films! I haven't been able to watch any for a while due to a cataract in my eye. This has now been sorted so I expect to be hitting the cinema pretty hard in the coming months!
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I recently bought 2 copies of nightmare on elm street glasses' of Ebay, purely for nostalgic and completionist reasons to go with the vhs copy of the film (got a good price to 99pence including postage).
                    Last edited by aaronwarrior; 27-01-2018, 21:59.

Comment

Are they still showing a lot of 3D films in the cinema? I know a few years ago there was a big surge of films available in 3D but I don't hear much about it now. Haven't been to the cinema in ages mind. Also 3D TVs - they never seemed to catch on.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        Are they still showing a lot of 3D films in the cinema? I know a few years ago there was a big surge of films available in 3D but I don't hear much about it now. Haven't been to the cinema in ages mind. Also 3D TVs - they never seemed to catch on.
                        The ones I saw last year were Beauty & The Beast, The Great Wall, Ghost In The Shell, & the Batman Lego Movie.

Comment

Working...
                        X