penpals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penpals

Does anyone remember a scheme that ran in the 80's where one kid had like a form where you filled in your hobbies, likes, dislikes etc and picked a couple of countries where you would like to write to. Then you paid about £2 and the kid send the form off to a company that matched kids up from all over the world? I got a penpal in Italy who I wrote to for years. I can't remember the name of the scheme and everyone I ask about it just looks at me blankly.
    If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Re: penpals

I remember it, can't think of the name, but there were always ads for it in the magazines..It will come to me

Comment

Oh god,Yes we did it at our school, I wrote to a girl in Spain, we only sent a few letters,and bits and bobs, keyrings,rubbers etc, as with most things at the age of 10, the novelty must of worn off! Think we got matched because we both liked Rick Astley, not that many of us
      Heather

Comment

I do remember this scheme... but alas the name escapes me. I got several penpals who invitably failed to write back after a few letters.

If I recall rightly.. the form was orange and white and if you sent off for so many on the same form you got so many free ones too.
        Last edited by MommaMystique; 12-10-2007, 20:50. Reason: additionl memory.
        sigpic
        Mrs Oggy
        ~~~*~~~*~~~
        Count your friends amongst the stars....
        And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

I forgot you got so many free if you signed up so many people... I think it was 1 for 10 people and 2 for 20 or something like that.
          If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

It was the IPF (International Pen Friends). The organisation is still going believe it or not - International Pen Friends (IPF) - Snailmail Penfriends - Penfriends From All Over The World - Penfriend Club.

Our English teacher made us all fill out those forms too and it actually started me on about 5 years of penpalling madness - I ended up with about 120 penpals at one stage! God I must have had such a boring life looking back on it now, if I found the time to write to all these people. I only kept in touch with one but I don't speak to him anymore.

Comment

I often thought of joining a 'penpals' organisation when I was kid, but never seemed to get around to it. Maybe it's, ...em,...never too late??

Thanks for the link. I may just think about it.............now I'm 47!

Comment

Working...
              X