X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bonfire night

Comment

My earliest bonfire night was of going to a family friend's house and having a spark go down my back, making me cry!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Anyone remember those fireworks that would rise vertically then shoot across horizontally? We called them helicopters but not sure if that was their actual name. I think they were banned quite a while ago. Also, I used to love that distinctive smell when opening a box of fireworks.

Comment

Not the same since bangers were banned!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

did anyone make banger guns ?

Comment

Nah but we used to strap pipes to our BMXs and use them to launch mini-rockets.

One year we got a big box of Bangers from a mate of my dad's who used them in their reenactments (some boat thing), some were damp so we got all th gunpowder out of those and genied it, massive pile it was.
              Some we put inside our Airfix kits and blew them up, the rest got saved for Fireworks Night in a neighbour's garden where we were lighting them and throwing them in the fire, seeing who could hold onto it the longest.

We bought boxes of them and chased each other round the common firing them at each other. Then made a bonfire with all the aerosol cans we'd collected in the preceding months and had to stand round it facing outwards while the cans exploded and wizzed past us!

Fireworks night we also used to take my dad's shotguns into the garden and fire them into the air.

Last one we had in a mates' garden (about 2003) we had all sorts of issues, rockets falling over and launching at us all, the catherine wheel falling off the fence so my mate tried to stamp it out but the nail went into his shoe so he came hopping down the garden with it spinning on his shoe! XD.

I miss fireworks night.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                I miss fireworks night.
                same here. it was the one night of the year were everyone in the neighbourhood used to get together and have a good time. i think the last bonfire that we had was back in 1993. there's nowhere to have them since the council started going mad building houses here. there and everywhere.

Comment

Bonfire night is still common here.

I watch from my bedroom across the road as the huge bonfire burns tons of people watching it and a bit too much drink is consumed.

Wood tyres etc burning.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I don't think it is quite the same without your own bonfire. We used to have one every year on our garden, or if we were at a friend/relative's house they would also have one. Speaking for myself, I am not a fan of organised bonfires and displays. Yes, they may be more spectacular, but I prefer my own. Even the last few years when my son was young enough to want to stay with us for Bonfire Night and we didn't have a traditional bonfire, we still put a pile of old wood and bits and pieces in an old metal dustbin and lighted it so we had a fire. You can't do that now most people have plastic wheelies.

Comment

I remember when I was young one person would invite all the families around, with everyone contributing some food & a box of fireworks.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        I remember when I was young one person would invite all the families around, with everyone contributing some food & a box of fireworks.
                        thats what we did. great times back then and a good community spirit.

Comment

All of us residents on our close had a communal fireworks display at the end of the close where more houses were being built
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

In the 70s there used to be a fireworks competition shown on TV on or around Bonfire Night. I think there were displays from different countries. It strikes me now why would overseas countries have displays on Bonfire Night? Australia, New Zealand and Canada I could understand--if they celebrate Bonfire Night at all--but I think they were European countries.

Comment

I thought Bonfire Night on the 5th Of November was mostly a British thing, & maybe spread to some other Commonwealth countries.

Many other countries have firework displays for other important occasions.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I am not sure if Australia, Canada and New Zealand celebrate 5th November, but the programme I recall had displays from european countries and was shown around Bonfire Night. Probably mid-70s. I specifically remember missing it one year as we went to a friend's house to their bonfire.

Comment

Working...
                                X