• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bonfire night

It's not celebrated here in Australia.

Comment

It used to be celebrated in Australia when I was a kid. Never missed Bonfire Nite. One of the male residents selected a spot for the bonfire and us kids would then spend all day collecting old wooden junk and anything else that would burn. When we were finished there was a huge pile just waiting for the torch. Each of our fathers would bring along the fireworks and they would be set up for the evenings entertainment. Come nite fall and our dads would lite her up. There were all sorts of firework displays including everyone's fave the Kathrine Wheel. Oh what joy this was for us kids as the rockets were lit and flew skyward as the other firewords were given life.

Comment

I love Bonfire Night too Donald. It's a big event here, complete with home made treacle toffee, i used to make Guy Fawlkes out of my old clothes stuffed with newspapers. I love fireworks too! ����

Comment

Originally posted by Ella View Post
          I love Bonfire Night too Donald. It's a big event here, complete with home made treacle toffee, i used to make Guy Fawlkes out of my old clothes stuffed with newspapers. I love fireworks too! ����
          yum..home made treacle toffee. That would play havoc with my no sugar diet I bet. We also had a huge Guy Fawkes figure made of wood, old clothes and straw. Guy was the last thing to burn at the end of Bonfire Nite.����
          Last edited by Donald the Great; 12-12-2017, 23:17.

Comment

Bonfire Night was last night and I was surprised by the relative lack of fireworks being let off around here. Fireworks have been going off for a few days now and there were probably as many being let off on saturday night as there were last night. Growing up, few fireworks were let off prior to the actual night, in fact I can't recall letting off a firework of ours before 5th November, though we did save a couple of rockets for New Years Eve.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              Bonfire Night was last night and I was surprised by the relative lack of fireworks being let off around here. Fireworks have been going off for a few days now and there were probably as many being let off on saturday night as there were last night. Growing up, few fireworks were let off prior to the actual night, in fact I can't recall letting off a firework of ours before 5th November, though we did save a couple of rockets for New Years Eve.
              Likewise, more fireworks on the 3rd and 4th than there were on the 5th..how strange.
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I put it down to an increasing number of people requiring instant gratification. They buy fireworks and can't wait even a few days to let them off. Same with buying other things. They can't wait and save for what they want, it has to be now that they have it. I think letting off fireworks is part of the same phenomenon, and I have noticed it over the last few Bonfire Nights, though last night was striking.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  Likewise, more fireworks on the 3rd and 4th than there were on the 5th..how strange.
                  I think that it is something to do with the fact that the 3rd and 4th fell on Saturday and Sunday this year, and so that was when a lot of official bonfire displays took place on - the Saturday closest to the 5th is usually the date chosen, especially for the annual event at the Forest Recreation Ground where it also has its sub-Goose Fair rides as well.

I heard the bangs and loud noises coming home from shopping yesterday, and I thought to myself that I bet that felt like Belfast during The Troubles!

And I was absolutely right - I am sure you heard about the fire at the Nottingham Cattle Market. I was correct in assuming that it was something to do with bonfire night and assumed that it wouldn't have happened at any other time of the year - it was caused by a lit firework - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46108866
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I agree that last night's lack of fireworks around here was probably exagerated by being so close to the weekend but I have noticed it in previous years as well around here. Don't think there are any organised events anywhere near us as far as I am aware. Also no bonfires--perhaps local laws have curtailed those now, but back in the day a bonfire was the norm. Even when my son was growing out of being bothered about fireworks, for the last couple of years we still had a fire in an old metal dustbin while letting off our fireworks.

Comment

Forgot to say that Bonfire Night was not complete without traditional fare such as hot dogs, burgers, roasted chestnuts and baked potatos, plus pizza when that became popular.

Comment

They used to have bonfire night safety talks at school including one about things that you shouldn't put in a bonfire. I think I only just caught the end of the era when fun eclipsed health and safety on bonfire night - like attaching catherine wheels to the back door or making bonfires in builder's skips.

Comment

It was great that Coronation Street episodes on ITV 3 have just shown the Bonfire Night episode from 1990 - quite appropriately timed for this time of year!
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Forgot to say that Bonfire Night was not complete without traditional fare such as hot dogs, burgers, roasted chestnuts and baked potatos, plus pizza when that became popular.
                            Also toffee apples and black eyed peas (for some reason)
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I love the wondrous fireworks but sadly ...

Now it's all about massive bangs and sonic booms and mortar bombs well past midnight .

Disgusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bonfire night is not complete without mugs of soup but they have well and truly become a thing of the past.

How did treacle toffee become associated with bonfire night?

Comment

Working...
                                X