Bonfire night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonfire night

as it is almost that time of year again i was thinking back to when i was a kid, we used to make a guy , we used a pair of tights stuffed with newspaper for the head and legs , and a jumper tied at the wrists stuffed with newspaper too .then he usually had a jacket and trousers on, we used to take him to the neighbours and get pennies (penny for the guy) and also sit on the end of our banjo with him then after he used to go on the bonfire,
    we used to have a few fireworks the catherine wheel never used to work lol,
    and mum used to make savoury suprise (she got the recipe from blue peter) it was sliced potatoe and onions i think there might of been some milk? and topped with cheese in a casserole and then in the oven for hours, she used to do jacket potatoes too in the oven so the skins where hard,
    can anyone else remember making guys??
    and does anyone still make them with their children ?
    or was it just the 70's and 80's era?
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who live in the past are already repeating it.

Re: Bonfire night

Oh yes Jolima ! We had lots of fun as kids making the Guy much the way you did, then we'd take it to the top of our street at it's junction with the main road and sit waiting for people to come past on their way from the factories. I live in the Potteries, so when I was a little girl there were loads of PotBanks in the area. Later in the evening we'd move the Guy to the outside of our local - a very small pub just opposite our house, and wait for the slightly squiffy old men to come out and give us coppers.

All the neighbourhood kids would use the same bonfire built on the 'Marl Hole' A large open space that was used to tip waste from the factories. The annual 'Wakes' (fair) was held there too. The bonfire was HUGE !! And everyone took their few fireworks with them and all the Dads had great fun setting them off for us. Hey Ho ! Those were the days
    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
    <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

We also made a Guy to burn(using mum's american tan tights) on the Bonfire as kids, we had quite a big fire at the bottom of our garden, we would go wood collecting a few weeks before, then the Guy would take position on top.
      All the family and neighbours kids would come to us with their fireworks to be set off, I can just smell it now. We would have Jacket potatoes, cheese and beans, to warm us up.
      I look back on Bonfire night with fond memories, we also did out share of "Penny for the Guy", spending hours on the bus stop.
      We don't make one with our children as our gardens not big enough for a fire, we do however have a few fireworks with all the family at mum's house.
      Heather

Comment

I also remember getting up the next morning and collecting all the spent shells of the fire works, not sure why LOL
        Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
          I also remember getting up the next morning and collecting all the spent shells of the fire works, not sure why LOL
          LOL now that you mention it i remember doing that too but same as you Not sure why hee hee

Comment

Just re read your Leader Jolima and yes, there are still Guys out there on the streets ! I work at the Co-op near to where I live and as we speak there is a gang of three small boys of about 10 outside the main door with theirs !

Comment

I did that too, think i liked the smell of them.
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

What a Generation
                Heather

Comment

I grew up in the middle of the countryside...we had a 'farm' of sorts....and every year we had the BEST bonfires...plenty of trees/bushes to be cleared & burnt

we always had soup, bangers mash & beans...then bonfire toffee & Parkin

and 'cos the land was so flat in our area, we could see all the other bonfires in the distance....like beacons of old

Dave
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I mentioned this to a workmate the other day and he did it too. There was definitely a oneupmanship in who could find the most (or the most complete) shell the next day.

On the night itself we'd also go around and down all the local alleyways to see if we could catch a glimpse of other people's displays!

Comment

WOW ! I'm shattered ! We have just finished our bonfire bash and I've just thrown my last family members out (Heather & kids !!) Eleven adults, nine kids round a bonfire in the garden with a smashing firework display. We all enjoyed hot dogs and burgers (and a little alcohol) The kids thought it was great Think the dishes and tidying up can wait till tomorrow

Comment

Ahh yes I remember it well. My Guy had a very slim passing resemblance to anything human shaped but I insisted on making it myslef without any help! I would taipse down to a junction in Radford In Nottingham where we lived and there we would catch the workers changing shifts at Raleigh Bicycles and John Player cigarettes, LOADS of pennies for Fireworks! For food on the night we would get Baked potatoes, bonfire toffee which was incredibly hard! Flapjacks baked apples, and lots of sweets that were only available at that time of year 'winter toffee and the such. I always remembered I could wait for my bath that week until bofire night and go to bed all clean and warm with a big smile on my face. So many things have now been designated unsafe by the powers that be but we were okay, as long as you had a responsable adult there! Does anyone remember the adverts that the Fire Brigade put out about keeping fireworks in a biscuit tin with a lid? Wear a glove and light them at arms length and to keep a bucket of water or sand handy?

Comment

Lol yep i remember those adverts,
                          i also remember 1 year that the firebrigade came to our house as i bonfire was so big they had got the hose out and came running over then 1 said wait a minute did you call us and dad said no and he had his hose on the tap anyway so they went not sure who called them lol but luckily 1 thought to ask before extinguishing it lol

Comment

I have many memories like these.
                            We always had a big party on the night with loads of fireworks, a massive bonfire, jacket spuds baked in foil in the fire, our home made Guy used for 'Penny For The Guy' by my brother all week finally ceremoniously dumped on top of the fire, looking for the shells in the streets the next day.

Do any of you remember the unbelievably dangerous Jumping Jack firework that chased you round the garden?
                            Or the Banger being thrown behind you and making you jump when it exploded?
                            I think both of these were banned by the early 70s, thank goodness!

I also remember fireworks like Air Bombs being much louder than today.
                            sigpic
                            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

They are not the same today, no colour in them at all, no bang, the cathrin weel do not spin so long, the rockets are terrible, i use to love the jumping jack i remember running round the garden because i was never to sure were it was going to jump to next.

Comment

Working...
                              X