Good old charity shops.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good old charity shops.....

I'm a volunteer worker for one local charity shop and I find some goodies sometimes. I even take a peek at the back of the shop, just today I found an empty Cadburys Dairy Milk vending machine where you had to put a 2p in and a little choc would come out. I would like to buy that although I never had one for xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
      I'm always looking at what DVDs and CDs I can find in charity shops, sometimes books and games, but usually just DVDs and CDs, and I have picked up loads of good stuff really cheap. From a retro point-of-view, I've managed to get the 'Charley Says/Charley Live' PIF DVD for a quid, and a couple of 'Tenko' DVDs for a pound each (although I haven't really watched those yet, just remember it being on in the early '80s), and the first series of 'Dear Ladies' - which is hilarious, new for about 2 pounds.
      I absolutely love Hinge & Bracket - saw them live a couple of times and they were so so funny. You've inspired me to go dvd hunting now Austin...
      "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
        I'm a volunteer worker for one local charity shop and I find some goodies sometimes. I even take a peek at the back of the shop, just today I found an empty Cadburys Dairy Milk vending machine where you had to put a 2p in and a little choc would come out. I would like to buy that although I never had one for xmas.

How on earth did they get a vending machine donated to a Charity Shop? Be a bit large i'd guess yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          How on earth did they get a vending machine donated to a Charity Shop? Be a bit large i'd guess yeah!
          No, they were only about 14 inches tall!!! They were a sort of toy.
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
            No, they were only about 14 inches tall!!! They were a sort of toy.
            Oh right, thanks. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
              ...just today I found an empty Cadburys Dairy Milk vending machine where you had to put a 2p in and a little choc would come out. I would like to buy that although I never had one for xmas.
              Great fun for 5 minutes - until the included chocs ran out. Then it's just a disappointing piggy-bank!

My best charity shop find was an unopened boxed Rubik's Clock. Bliss!
              Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
              Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
              While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
              Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
              -Kingsley Amis

Comment

My mam was a big fan of charity shops when I was little, even if I wasn't. She sneaked me into loads of second hand clothes over the years (claiming they were new). Her last purchase for me was a pair of horribly faded red shorts that were very obviously from the charity shop. I remember shouting "I'm not wearing these, they're second hand!" She still tried to argue that they were new before giving a cheeky smile of defeat, realising I was old enough to rumble her game.

I also have a random memory of being in a second hand shop called Peanuts with my mam, bored witless, and hearing on the radio that Kenneth Williams had died. The shop had big cartoons of Snoopy and Woodstock on the front. It's weird the things that stick in your mind.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Sculpher View Post
                  Great fun for 5 minutes - until the included chocs ran out. Then it's just a disappointing piggy-bank!

My best charity shop find was an unopened boxed Rubik's Clock. Bliss!
                  rubik's clock never seen one.
                  are rubik the same company that did the legendary rubik's cube.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    *facepalm* jeez

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      Are you being serious? I give up!
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember the Beano had a contest to win a Rubik's Clock when they first came out.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I got some 1976 and 1978 mego space toys in a Whitley bay charity shop a few weeks ago and a metal zymlex robot which I scooped up and sold on for a nice healthy profit to a collector. they must have thought they were old junk seeing as they were just dumped in a basket. I spent ages scrabbling around finding little hands and feet to make complete figures and the woman was quite curious watching me. They're not my cup of tea for collecting but I love the feeling of finding a valuable little toy that could complete someone's collection and buy me something else.

Comment

Have u got any stuff you collect that u keep for yourself.

U can get amazing finds in charity shops.

I bought loads of lord of the rings books the visual companions to 2 of them.
                            Both in hardback as well as a couple of other books in soffback.

Asll came to around 3 quid and they where in superb condition.

Originally posted by littlelen View Post
                            i got some 1976 and 1978 mego space toys in a whitley bay charity shop a few weeks ago and a metal zymlex robot which i scooped up and sold on for a nice healthy profit to a collector. They must have thought they were old junk seeing as they were just dumped in a basket. I spent ages scrabbling around finding little hands and feet to make complete figures and the woman was quite curious watching me. They're not my cup of tea for collecting but i love the feeling of finding a valuable little toy that could complete someone's collection and buy me something else.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

yep. I've got some really cool first edition children's books. the cat in the hat being my all time favourite. i've been collecting books from tv series like pigeon street, he man ( the ladybird sized ones) and transformers ones and annuals like whizzer and chips. I tell myself im geting them for the kids but am secretly glad when they dont bother with them. I collect Shirley Hughes books but not re-prints. I've got a lovely first edition copy of le ballon rouge. I collect old magazines from the 40s and 50s if they're Christmas themed. I had all of the snugglebumms but gave them to my little girl to play with. I love acorn green and would love to get the set. I stupidly forgot to bid on a lot the other day and it went for less than 8.00! Doh!
                              I collect and keep Christmas decorations from the 70s and 80s and love feeling like a kid every year again when we get them out.
                              Upstairs on the bunkbed I have gizmo, a yawnie and my....'little girls' dolls house is a lundby with original furniture and a load of whimsies living in there.
                              I can't walk past loose vintage figures without buying them. My most recent was yesterday I got my Charlie chalk figure for 50p but I'm not actually keeping him. I used him as my profile picture.
                              I love barbie clothes. Never been fussed on the dolls themselves but the clothes are like miniature little gems to me.
                              Im not ready to grow up I guess and if I tell myself I'm collecting rather than playing I get to surround myself with things that make me smile.

Comment

My wife "works" in a charity shop one day a week. Most of our crockery came from there. It is surprising what people will donate. We have a couple of sets of wine glasses, all complete, from charity shops. We have a wry smile at each other when people say they love our dinner plates ETC. How expensive they must have been ETC. If only they knew......
                                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                                X