Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good old charity shops.....

Originally posted by marc View Post
    My wife "works" in a charity shop one day a week. Most of our crockery came from there. It is surprising what people will donate. We have a couple of sets of wine glasses, all complete, from charity shops. We have a wry smile at each other when people say they love our dinner plates ETC. How expensive they must have been ETC. If only they knew......
    I'm rubbish at keeping bargains to myself. I wish I could be trained to simply say thanks when someone gives me a compliment but instead I blurt out which charity shop I got it from and how much it actually cost.

Comment

Agreed Charity shops are great and the old kind with Boxes full of unusual finds full of dust (especially with Magazines in them) seem to be dying I think) sadly

I don't know what H.G, Heather, Daddy think but I am glad this thread as been resurrected as for a while I have wondered if there would be any mileage in a thread for 'finds in Charity Shops/Car Boot Sales" as so much can be linked to the 1960s to 1990s this way I think/find

Thanks,

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
        Agreed Charity shops are great and the old kind with Boxes full of unusual finds full of dust (especially with Magazines in them) seem to be dying I think) sadly

I don't know what H.G, Heather, Daddy think but I am glad this thread as been resurrected as for a while I have wondered if there would be any mileage in a thread for 'finds in Charity Shops/Car Boot Sales" as so much can be linked to the 1960s to 1990s this way I think/find

Thanks,

80sChav
        I'm very new to this forum (so much fun BTW) and can easily get carried away on nostalgia so that would be right up my retro street but I don't want to tread on any toes by saying so. This site is already pretty brilliant as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post

Thanks,

80sChav
          if there was a thread covering charity shop finds I would probably hijack it and you lot would never get rid of me. We have a St. Oswald's clearance shop here where everything is 1.00. It's like my holy grail and i really do lose sleep over it. The amount of books and toys I've bought from there for very little money is amazing. I even bought a perfectly working guitar there once but its sat in my hallway waiting for me to learn how to play it. I've picked up Tupperware toys, loads of 80s and 90s shoes and bags. ( I love my pepe shirt with skinny jeans) and my favourite thing was a few years ago getting 2 huge panels of vintage fraggle rock fabric that had been made in to curtains. I've had tonnes of exciting stuff and am just realising what a hoarder I am as I'm writing this.

Comment

lol im a bit of an hoarder I love the charity shops last few months ive dropped on some real bargains
            fount some books that are worth a bit off money as they are rare now and if you know what your looking for its just gotto be done
            I buy something every time I go in now anything from books dvds and old classic games or anything retro I might find
            might need a bigger house soon lol

Originally posted by Littlelen View Post
            if there was a thread covering charity shop finds I would probably hijack it and you lot would never get rid of me. We have a St. Oswald's clearance shop here where everything is 1.00. It's like my holy grail and i really do lose sleep over it. The amount of books and toys I've bought from there for very little money is amazing. I even bought a perfectly working guitar there once but its sat in my hallway waiting for me to learn how to play it. I've picked up Tupperware toys, loads of 80s and 90s shoes and bags. ( I love my pepe shirt with skinny jeans) and my favourite thing was a few years ago getting 2 huge panels of vintage fraggle rock fabric that had been made in to curtains. I've had tonnes of exciting stuff and am just realising what a hoarder I am as I'm writing this.
            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
              lol im a bit of an hoarder I love the charity shops last few months ive dropped on some real bargains
              fount some books that are worth a bit off money as they are rare now and if you know what your looking for its just gotto be done
              I buy something every time I go in now anything from books dvds and old classic games or anything retro I might find
              might need a bigger house soon lol
              Loads of ours locally have become clearance shops. Not sure how to take that as a regional thing but who cares? It means you're more likely to actually find something worthwhile there I literally cannot stay out of them. If I go in normal clothes shops they're mundane and full of the same stuff and if it costs more than a 1.00 I'm out of there these days. Best place to get vintage toys round here seems to be byker as they don't seem to be on the profit trail. I tend to donate more to the ones that struggle and don't over charge too. It's charity shop karma I suppose?

Comment

I've picked up a few decent bits recently xmark1234 especially books but find it increasingly annoying when they insist on putting stickers on covers or boxes that can't be removed without causing damage.

Comment

Working...
                X