Anybody remember Kunzel Cakes ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody remember Kunzel Cakes ??

I've even started a new thread a while ago as I wasn't aware of this one till now . Maybe we should start a petition to get them back on our shelves . In the meantime has anyone got any photos of them individually and / or the packaging . Finally a recipe would be great !!!

Comment

My Mum at least got these for a treat, normally we had Angel cake or Battenburg.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris68 View Post
          Thank you !!!
          You've brought those memories back !

So they were rebranded !?!

Comment

I think the brand was sold to Lyons for something like the last 10 years of their production.

Comment

I've often thought there must be some footage somewhere with Showboats in. I was watching an episode of The Sweeney today called "Down To You, Brother" from 1976. Regan was sitting at a table in a large garden with some other bloke, a "tea on the lawn" type of thing. There they were on the table, Kunzle Showboats!

Comment

I loved kunzel cakes. Yesterday I finally got around to experimenting with my own ideas. For my first attempt I chose milk chocolate (good quality), made a genoese sponge and I tried german buttercream which I've never made before. I also thought of trying a swiss meringue buttercream; maybe that would be more like the original as the owner of kunzel cakes was from Switzerland. I used a smooth sided silicon friand mould to make the chocolate cups - the most fiiddly part. If I make them again I'll probably buy ready made chocolate cups.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sure2chat View Post
                  I loved kunzel cakes. Yesterday I finally got around to experimenting with my own ideas. For my first attempt I chose milk chocolate (good quality), made a genoese sponge and I tried german buttercream which I've never made before. I also thought of trying a swiss meringue buttercream; maybe that would be more like the original as the owner of kunzel cakes was from Switzerland. I used a smooth sided silicon friand mould to make the chocolate cups - the most fiiddly part. If I make them again I'll probably buy ready made chocolate cups.
                  Impressive

Comment

Originally posted by sure2chat View Post
                    Put me down for the first batch you make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They look like shriveled up Mr Kipling's French Fancies from what I see in the picture above.

I remember listening to BBC Radio Nottingham around 20 years ago, and a listener from Newark contacted the station and asked where they could buy Kunzel Cakes as well, similar to this thread - I think they said that they were available from the town's branch of Waitrose.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X