Woolworths virtual Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woolworths virtual Museum

Was in town last week happily strolling up the High street - 'er indoors rang and asked me to get three pairs of socks for grandson.

'No probs' thought I and wandered around the corner to Woolies.. faced a big empty shell of a building ...then the sickening realisation dawned yet again!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      And so it goes...

Wow, look at everyone's clothes, not much colour is there?
      My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more,

Comment

Wow!Our local Woolies didn't have all those things Ziksby,but it was a small branch,even before they moved to their new store it never had any food apart from Sweeties.I remember Woolco though.We used to go to the one near Bournmouth when we went on holiday,loved it.

tulip

Comment

Just remembered,its now an Asda Walmart and was in the Havant Centre!

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by suzannewozere2 View Post
            Yes I went back to check on their war memorial and it wasn't working.
            The one in Harlow had a restaurant downstairs with orange and yellow hanging lights on black bars and black and white horse sculpture on the wall. There was an old upright till just by that bit. I can't remember what they sold downstairs it might have been haberdashery and hairslides but the main floor had groceries at the back part.
            Upstairs was clothing and plimsols.

I don't remember Harlow selling fresh meat but Clacton did. They all used to have tiled entrances and chrome handles with the W and a lot had wooden floors.

I went to the opening of the Bishop's Stortford one when it closed the original and moved a few doors along into a bigger building. It was opened by Don Estelle and Windsor Davies from it ain't arf hot mum. I had a signed single of whispering grass from that day.

Much later I got roped in for a what do you think of session about the store.
            Was in clacton a few weeks back(just bought a caravan)and saw the woolies open,had a look inside just to see it full of builders not sure what its going to be but the old woolies sign is still on.Looked like the real old fashioned shop that i remember from many years back.

Comment

Xmas is just not gonna be the same without Woolies. :cry:
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Its back on line if thats any small compensation

Woolworths.co.uk - Full of Toys, Entertainment, Kids Clothing, Party Ideas & Pic n' Mix
                Heather

Comment

An interesting fact that not many know was that years ago before the offical top fourty charts woolies used to sell singles that replicted top hits but performed by no name artists.I have 5 mp3s that i managed to grab off the offical woolworths site(in a history section?) a while before woolworths went bust.I know that i can't stick them on this site.But i suppose i could stick them on a hosting site if the mods allowed a link to be posted?They were free to download off the offical woolworths site at the time.The 5 mp3s add up to about 9mb.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
                    An interesting fact that not many know was that years ago before the offical top fourty charts woolies used to sell singles that replicted top hits but performed by no name artists.I have 5 mp3s that i managed to grab off the offical woolworths site(in a history section?) a while before woolworths went bust.I know that i can't stick them on this site.But i suppose i could stick them on a hosting site if the mods allowed a link to be posted?They were free to download off the offical woolworths site at the time.The 5 mp3s add up to about 9mb.
                    My Dad was once bought one of those as a present, & quickly passed it onto my aunt.

When struggling artists needing a bit of spare cash Elton John & David Bowie recorded a few tracks for albums featuring covers of recent hits.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                      I know it is Hugs, but it's not the same as walking around the store with all it's Xmas decs, music and stuff. It always really put me in the mood.
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                        I know it is Hugs, but it's not the same as walking around the store with all it's Xmas decs, music and stuff. It always really put me in the mood.
                        Although it trades under the same name has ladybird clothing? and picknmix.it is a totally different company who just used those ideas to float a new company.Sorry but woolworths as it was is long gone.a very well thought out tactic as woolworths is a very well placed brandname among consumers.
                        sigpic

Comment

Music can't be hosted on the site, links to external sites are ok as long as you don't promote pirarcy etc.
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                            Music can't be hosted on the site, links to external sites are ok as long as you don't promote pirarcy etc.
                            The mp3s in question were free for anyone to download off the offical woolworths site.No charge no conditions.But it is not something i am going to bother with now anyway.I don't wish to get this site into trouble.
                            sigpic

Comment

Upload & Share Files - Flyupload

A selection of 5 of the woolies "chart specials" that i mentioned earlier.These were avaliable free of charge on the woolworths site in the history section prior to them going bust.I hold no claim to them.i have cleared this link with a mod.
                              sigpic

Comment

The label was Embassy Records. They were run by Oriole Records, a small independent label who had their own pressing plant. The singles would have a cover version on each side, often by different performers, and sold for about half the price of a regular hit. Many of the artists performing these covers were session singers who also had careers on BBC radio, albeit usually under a pseudonym. Ken Barrie, who later recorded the Postman Pat theme, was one

As Embassy had to predict that week's hits, very little time was set aside for recording, so these singles were generally rushed affairs. Even so these recordings did get licensed to other labels overseas, and some probably even appeared in the US on cash-in albums issued during the British Invasion of 1964.

The tracks found on the now defunct Woolworths site included some of their Beatles covers, credited to The Typhoons. This group didn't exist in the real world - it was just a collective name for whatever session musicians were to hand at the time.

The label lasted until early 1965, when Oriole got bought out by CBS, and the pressing plant switch to pressing CBS's own releases. The later covers albums featuring the likes of Elton John were for releases on labels such as Hallmark, Warwick and MfP.

It's unlikely that any of the master tapes for these recordings still exist. Oriole used to wipe the tapes for their own genuine releases after a couple of years, so these covers may have had an even shorter life.

Comment

Working...
                                X