Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woolworths virtual Museum

Stumbled across this today - http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/

Thought it might interest you guys/gals.

(I did a search and it returned nothing so apologies if it's been posted before)

Re: Woolworths virtual Museum

Very Interesting, thanks for that Mullentino
    Heather

Comment

Alas, a far cry from what most Woolworth's are like these days

This was the Woolies I grew up with. Three floors; it had a bit of everything!

Comment

Is that Harlow?
        One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

This'll probably a frequent post in here in a few years ...

'Do you remember shopping in Woolies?'

Comment

Originally posted by suzannewozere2 View Post
            Is that Harlow?
            Yep it is/was Harlow. The other week I noticed a tiny little Woolworths sticker inside the sleeve of my old Star Wars soundtrack LP with the name of the assistant that served me and the date I bought it - 22nd August 1977 - my 13th birthday. Brought the wonder of Woolies right back to me

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
              Stumbled across this today - The Woolworths Virtual Museum

Thought it might interest you guys/gals.

(I did a search and it returned nothing so apologies if it's been posted before)
              Looks like they've pulled the plug - leads to an empty page now and the main site has its Down for Essential Maintainance notice up !:cry:

Poor old Woolies......
              (was on last night's News, most stores will be closed by the end of the month)
              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

And so it goes...

Comment

Yes I went back to check on their war memorial and it wasn't working.
                  The one in Harlow had a restaurant downstairs with orange and yellow hanging lights on black bars and black and white horse sculpture on the wall. There was an old upright till just by that bit. I can't remember what they sold downstairs it might have been haberdashery and hairslides but the main floor had groceries at the back part.
                  Upstairs was clothing and plimsols.

I don't remember Harlow selling fresh meat but Clacton did. They all used to have tiled entrances and chrome handles with the W and a lot had wooden floors.

I went to the opening of the Bishop's Stortford one when it closed the original and moved a few doors along into a bigger building. It was opened by Don Estelle and Windsor Davies from it ain't arf hot mum. I had a signed single of whispering grass from that day.

Much later I got roped in for a what do you think of session about the store.

Comment

Downstairs in the big Harlow Woolworths was (as much as I can remember) hardware (tools etc.) as well as the restaurant. I'm sure there was more but I can't remember. I was more interested in the toys on the top floor

Comment

We used to visit Harlow shops every Saturday (it seemed like) when I was a kid, don't remember much about the Woolworths there though. The market was great especially the toys and sweets stalls. There was also a little toy shop in one of the back streets (must have been round the back of Woolies somewhere) that I used to buy most of my Lego from. But once the Harvey Centre was built, we pretty much used to just head to there especially in the Winter time. Great memories though.
                      "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Originally posted by stevef View Post
                        We used to visit Harlow shops every Saturday (it seemed like) when I was a kid, don't remember much about the Woolworths there though. The market was great especially the toys and sweets stalls. There was also a little toy shop in one of the back streets (must have been round the back of Woolies somewhere) that I used to buy most of my Lego from. But once the Harvey Centre was built, we pretty much used to just head to there especially in the Winter time. Great memories though.
                        That'd be the (snappily named) Harlow Toy & Nursery Centre; a toy shop by the bus station. A great place, packed the gunnels with all sorts of goodies. I spent many a time, growing up, in there gazing, longingly at all the cool stuff.

The market used to be good too. There was a great toy stall down near the Post Office with boxes full of old, cheap US Marvel comics

Sadly, all gone now

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                          Downstairs in the big Harlow Woolworths was (as much as I can remember) hardware (tools etc.) as well as the restaurant. I'm sure there was more but I can't remember. I was more interested in the toys on the top floor
                          That's right. You are a tiny bit older than me and just a few days apart lol

Comment

For those of you who want reminding just what you could expect from a Woolworth store back in the 1960s here is a department list .....
                            Confectionery, Food, Ice Cream, Delicatessen, Biscuits and cake, Footwear, Jewellery, Toilet goods, Millinery, Handkerchiefs, Haberdashery, Hosiery, Drapery, Seasonable stationary, Stationary, Books and cards, Fancy goods, Fresh Fruit and Vegetables, Horticulture and Pets supplies, Lighting, Hardware, Toys, Kitchenware, Household Goods, Crockery and China, Glassware, Xmas decorations.
                            I was a store manager back in the late '60s in Birmingham.
                            Everything passes and vanishes, everything leaves its trace,
                            Often you see in a footstep, what you could not see in a face.

Comment

I suppose the news has got throught to most of you that the Woolworths name is to be resurected as an online store -

Woolies to be resurrected as online-only store • The Register

Things like the Ladybird range will be included along with other Woolies branded products
                              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Working...
                              X