• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woolworths virtual Museum

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post

I Miss Woolworths Best Shop Ever, you could get everything in there.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Woolworths are missed - especially at this time of year when you could get Easter Eggs of any chocolate or sweet.

Is it any coincidence that both those advertisements above feature elephants? I assume that they were from around 1990-ish?
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Adverts from same mag dated Feb 1988

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
            Adverts from same mag dated Feb 1988
            Thank you for that.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

My local Woolworths building was sadly demolished last week to make way for a new hotel. Felt a bit sad about that as I loved Woolworths and my mum used to work in one for years. The sign was still on the back of the building years after the shop had closed down. Whoever has taken that sign is going to get a fortune for it in years to come.

Comment

I've looked at the Woolworths museum site numerous times. There was some top quality items over the years. I well remember the Christmas decorations being sold. The pick'n'mix sweet section was also memorable. They seemed to sell the best Turkish Delight around. There were three Woolworths in a four mile radius from where I lived....all gone now.
                  Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                    My local Woolworths building was sadly demolished last week to make way for a new hotel. Felt a bit sad about that as I loved Woolworths and my mum used to work in one for years. The sign was still on the back of the building years after the shop had closed down. Whoever has taken that sign is going to get a fortune for it in years to come.
                    There was a website just a few years ago that mentioned what happened to former Woolworths branches - most of them became pound shops just like the Nottingham Victoria Centre one, and even that has gone as there is a Costa Coffee shop there now. Controversially, the Clifton one in Nottingham was to become an amusement arcade, much to the anger of local residents who strongly opposed the plans exchanged letters in the Nottingham Post, saying that it would encourage underage gambling.

It was fascinating to see all the different stores listed on that page that was to replace Woolworths - quite a few Tesco Expresses (allowing Tesco to get even more of the market share) benefited from all this, Iceland, WHSmith, Boots all got mentioned. Quite a few "empty" - one in the West Midlands became a council library. Quite a few became a lot of "local area only" and "one branch wonder" stores. It hasn't been updated for a few years if it is still around.

There was a former Woolworths mentioned on that page which was to be demolished to make way for housing although that was in Plymouth I believe - did we have all of this controversy when Rumbelows closed down in the mid 1990s I wonder?
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The one in Stockport is now split into a Costa, River Island and Dreichman.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                      X