never ending summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: never ending summer

When we had decent summers in the 60,s & 70,s we paid for it with snow every winter

Comment

Originally posted by Cooldeepblue View Post
      Despite all your fond memories of snow on Xmas day...according to the Met Office is has only snowed on Xmas Day 7 times since 1900 lol !!
      This stat will be a little off as the met office only consider it a white Christmas if snow falls on the roof of the met office headquarters in London, but if you speak to people in northern Scotland they will have a white Christmas most years

I cant remember a single white Christmas though I do remember it snowing on Christmas eve once but it never settled

Summer holidays always seemed hotter when I was a kid than they are now but that's probably because all the good memories would have been on hot days and I have chosen to forget the days when it rained and I had to stay in
      Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

This year I would consider the summer to have been like the summers of my childhood I.e. Mostly warm and sunny with the odd wet day. It's been a very good one! Of course not all of my childhood summers would have been like that. I conveniently forget all of those wet days in front of the TV!

I can't really remember any white Christmasses from my childhood but there did seem to be more snow in general. Perpetual memories of snowball fights in the yard, rushing home from school to play in the snow before it got dark etc. it seemed to be every winter without fail.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

July was a good one,September has been excellent going into October still mild

Comment

Cooled down a bit now though

Comment

Originally posted by maxmix View Post
              Cooled down a bit now though
              Yes it has gone really chilly

Comment

I heard that a UK summer was between the last two weeks of July and first two of August. As for us 'kangaroos" we have fair dinkum summers.. too bloody hot if I have to be honest. I lived in a semi rural place on the outskirts of Sydney so there was plenty for myself and my mates to do in the school hols. We went tadpole hunting and when a little older yabbie hunting.. yummy if you could catch one big enuff to eat. Come summer and the cicadas stir from from their 17 year hibernation underground to waken the evening with their shrilling songs. Can not remember how many times I would climb a tree to snaffle a 'green grocer" or a "double drummer" and keep them in an aired box as pets. Catching the huge Christmas beetle was another Chrissie pastime. This was an art as they are cagey creatures. Probably the hilite of my endless summer was the Billy Cart racing. Made from old fruit boxes with a pair of disused pram wheels and a length of rope to steer.. these contraptions reached break neck speeds as they tore down our local dirt streets. Many a time I had a spill.. not sure how I did not kill myself. Another fun thing we kids did was find a piece of old board or the like and go up to the local sandhills and slide down. That was safer than billy cart racing as if you fell off you were in soft sand not hard dirt. Oh for a return to my childhood of endless summers.

An Aussie "double drummer" cicada.

Billy cart racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald The Great View Post
                  I heard that a UK summer was between the last two weeks of July and first two of August. As for us 'kangaroos" we have fair dinkum summers.. too bloody hot if I have to be honest. I lived in a semi rural place on the outskirts of Sydney so there was plenty for myself and my mates to do in the school hols. We went tadpole hunting and when a little older yabbie hunting.. yummy if you could catch one big enuff to eat. Come summer and the cicadas stir from from their 17 year hibernation underground to waken the evening with their shrilling songs. Can not remember how many times I would climb a tree to snaffle a 'green grocer" or a "double drummer" and keep them in an aired box as pets. Catching the huge Christmas beetle was another Chrissie pastime. This was an art as they are cagey creatures. Probably the hilite of my endless summer was the Billy Cart racing. Made from old fruit boxes with a pair of disused pram wheels and a length of rope to steer.. these contraptions reached break neck speeds as they tore down our local dirt streets. Many a time I had a spill.. not sure how I did not kill myself. Another fun thing we kids did was find a piece of old board or the like and go up to the local sandhills and slide down. That was safer than billy cart racing as if you fell off you were in soft sand not hard dirt. Oh for a return to my childhood of endless summers.

An Aussie "double drummer" cicada.

Billy cart racing.
                  Na that's a vast exaggeration.... A British summer is usually limited to no more than a couple of days - in August .

Comment

Ha ha Zincubus.

Comment

The unusual heat wave we've been having this summer '18' brings it all back...all those 80's summers of waking up to the sun streaming through the curtains every morning, the dried yellow grass, the 80's music, Dirty Dancing, the fun and carefreeness of it all, such precious memories of what seemed like 'never ending' happy days

Comment

Originally posted by Jemima View Post
                        The unusual heat wave we've been having this summer '18' brings it all back...all those 80's summers of waking up to the sun streaming through the curtains every morning, the dried yellow grass, the 80's music, Dirty Dancing, the fun and carefreeness of it all, such precious memories of what seemed like 'never ending' happy days
                        Jemima if you are into nostalgia you must post on my TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE thread.. in Miscellaneous Memories.

Comment

the summers when we were young were not non stop sunshine as we like to remember. But your memory plays tricks, you only recall the fun days out, not the boring ones indoors when raining

was talking to my Mum a while ago and I said how it always seemed to be sunny on our holidays to he Isl eof Wight, she laughed ad said you must be joking it rained more than it was sunny, like I said tho my brain only recalls the fun days at the beach

Comment

For me - mine would be 1995 and turning 18 .... that was the best ever Summer (in too many respects to describe (just in it being a good year all round for me)!!

80sChav

Comment

Eh, the never ending summers are a faraway memory, most of my childhood and teenage years were either spent in Britain, as my parents back then worked for British Airways, or in Belgium, where my mother's family is from, and, well, sunny days were not that frequent! Still, they were memorable because of that, my father would grill meat and peppers and play music, my mother invited my school friends to play, and that was quite great!
                              Still, sometimes, I got to spend a couple weeks near Banja Luka in what was then Yugoslavia, where my father is from, but that was before 1991... and man, these were holidays if I ever had some. You had a full-time provider of delicious pastries in the form of your grandmother, could take part in mass sports or games events, and most importantly when you're younger than 12, there were real, live, FARM ANIMALS!! I swear, I had two favourite ways to have fun as a kid, being invited by one of my school friends to play his NES with him in Britain, and trying to ride the donkey and feed things to the goats "back home".

Comment

I'd say that this is the longest stretch of decent / sunny weather I've ever experienced in my 62 years on this planet and we're only in Spring ...

I heard some guy say the other day that the 'jet stream' had been moved sideways slightly and that has caused this beautiful weather ... sounds feasible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X