The Worlds Strongest Man...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Worlds Strongest Man...

This is one of the only sports I really enjoyed watching as a child. It is classed as sport isn't it

Anyway we all enjoyed sitting around the TV, in my day the ONLY man to watch was Geoff Capes who was the first crowned non-American winner back in 1983. IMO great family entertainment to bring you all together cheering for the same "hero".
    Heather

Re: The Worlds Strongest Man...

Yep, probably the only sports show I ever watch, although I'm not sure it can be classed as sport

Comment

LOL, I was unsure where to put it
      Heather

Comment

Oh, Geoff Capes - he was our Superman, everybody loved him.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
          This is one of the only sports I really enjoyed watching as a child. It is classed as sport isn't it

Anyway we all enjoyed sitting around the TV, in my day the ONLY man to watch was Geoff Capes who was the first crowned non-American winner back in 1983. IMO great family entertainment to bring you all together cheering for the same "hero".
          Apart from Geoff, the other guy I remember was the loony Icelander Jon Paul Sigmarsson, who used to do all the shouting 'I AM A VIIIIKEEEEENG!' and all that stuff. He was a total fruit loop but very entertaining. Sad to hear that he died a few years ago, but looking back, a lot of the guys must have been getting, shall we say, extra help and may have been putting their lives at risk.
          I'd be surprised if Geoff Capes had though, because he was an ex-policeman and vocally anti-drugs, so I imagine would have just relied on natural body building such as eating steaks etc. Maybe that's why he didn't win so often, he was one of the few that weren't cheating!

Comment

Another regular from that time was Rick "Grizzly Bear" Brown.

For years it was presented by John Craven & shown around the New Year.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post

here you are heather.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2j8ljGO-aA
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Legendary show which was unmissable.

Anyone remember one year when two contestants were lifting huge round boulders and one dropped his which rolled onto the coach of the Dutch contestant (Ab Woulders), Jim Pollock's ankle? Can't seem to find a Youtube clip to share but if anyone does please post it as it is an absolute classic.

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
                  Apart from Geoff, the other guy I remember was the loony Icelander Jon Paul Sigmarsson, who used to do all the shouting 'I AM A VIIIIKEEEEENG!' and all that stuff. He was a total fruit loop but very entertaining. Sad to hear that he died a few years ago, but looking back, a lot of the guys must have been getting, shall we say, extra help and may have been putting their lives at risk.
                  I'd be surprised if Geoff Capes had though, because he was an ex-policeman and vocally anti-drugs, so I imagine would have just relied on natural body building such as eating steaks etc. Maybe that's why he didn't win so often, he was one of the few that weren't cheating!
                  I think you're right. Geoff was just naturally a massive bloke. Always thought it funny that he had such a love for breeding little budgies. You'd think he'd squash them in his big hands!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                    I think you're right. Geoff was just naturally a massive bloke. Always thought it funny that he had such a love for breeding little budgies. You'd think he'd squash them in his big hands!
                    I find this very endearing

I saw Geoff live once in our local park presenting a heat for Britain's Strongest Man about 20 years ago. He was huge!
                    sigpic
                    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

One of my fave programs - its a real tradition for me to watch it every year, without fail.
                      I was almost traumatised 2 years ago when it was on for 6 weeks prior to xmas with weekly heats as opposed to the usual 1 heat per day in between xmas/new year.
                      Luckily last year they returned to its original TV format!
                      All time best - pudzianowski - in his prime was simply an unstoppable monster of a man.
                      This event really struck me as he almost seemed to be running with 150kgs in each hand!?!? .
                      this video - he is at 5:32http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59BZrLwFbM

Comment

Yes? Did somebody call me?
                        Oooh,it's tv show you're talking about.
                        Sorry

Comment

Absolutely unmissable! It's never been quite the same since the BBC took it off a few years ago though; Channel Five's coverage just isn't the same somehow.

Comment

Obviously a gentle giant.
                            Oops.Didn't go in the right place. That was in answer to the post about the big guy and the budgies.

Comment

I never liked it....I remember they used to show it on at Easter Time in the main...my Mum used to say if the strongmen weren't careful they'd get hernias with all that straining....lol. I can't subtract that from it whenever its mentioned or I see it listed in the tv guides....yes, they were strong but I used to yearn for them to be like Superman with real superhuman feats of strength....lol, and they looked more fat than anything...

Comment

Working...
                              X