Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cake Shops and traditional cakes

Originally posted by joybee View Post
    I don't count Chatwins because even though it IS a genuine family bakers - it originates in Nantwich, which is Cheshire !!
    very true, but I was just listing shops that can still be found in our town centre
    Heather

Comment

Isn't this post-Xmas time a time of abstinence & losing the few pounds ? All the aforementioned sound lovely tho.
      Last edited by sixtyten; 22-01-2008, 20:03.

Comment

But Aidan we are losing pounds! £'s and £'s on all those lovely cakes in the cake shop
        Heather

Comment

We have Dorringtons but they aren't as good as they were.

Who remembers Andersons, and Tooks?
          or Elizabeth Annes Patisserie in Clacton.

As a kid we went to Grandparents in Tottenham and they had a huge gateau/cream cake for tea it was probably Percy Ingles but it was decorated with flake and a lovely green sauce.

Pies = Manzies Walthamstow for pie mash and liquor.
          One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

As well as Chatwins in Cheshire theres also Weinholts of Chester which is where I would go with my parent when they where visiting me at Uni, They do a Meringue based cake which if lethal! Its an oval meringue nest into which there is a slab of sponge which is soaked within an inch of its life with rum not rum essence RUM! this is then covered with a chocolate truffle mix and finally topped off with piped whipped cream and chopped nuts. I had one once in the up stairs tea room on an empty stomach and ended up sliding down my chair and under the table. I have never lived in down. But I really miss Chatwins Maderia Cake now I live in Ireland, I've never tasted better yet.

Comment

I remember as a small child receiving a gingerbread man when I visited my Grandparents as they lived a few doors down from a bakery called Wimbush. Does anyone in here ever worked at Wimbush at one time. Their gingerbread men were the best ever! I would love the recipe but that may be a long shot.
              lorraine

Comment

Viney's in Cirencester was a good one from the late 60's early 70's
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I will never forget pancakes that made my grangrandma

Comment

Gardeners in Cheltenham did the biggest lardy/dripper cakes in the known galaxy
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

A previous poster mentioned Taylor's. I remember their shops and their Five Star Bakery. My dad worked for a while delivering cakes from another small bakery to their chain of 2 or 3 shops. He would sometimes come back with left over bread and cakes at night, and especially on saturdays.

Comment

there used to be a bakers about ten houses down the street from where i live. everything they made was perfect. not found another to equal them yet.

Comment

Marple, where I grew up still has at least 2 independent bakers & cake shops.

Anyone remember the 1980s slogan "Naughty But Nice" for cream cakes?
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

CHARLIE WHITTEN BAKERY PORTADOWN 1950'S.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I don't think there was anything quite like having a cream cake from a cake shop for tea. As they were expensive, we didn't have them often, but I remember the excitement when my mom would get a box of cakes--they were always in those white square boxes--and the anticipation of what was inside. I even remember the pleasure of standing outside traditional cake shops and just looking at all the cakes on display.

Another shop I remember was in Towyn,Wales. I think it was called the Sandbank Bakery or similar, and was on a long road that led to the beach. On the opposite side of the road were lots of amusement arcades. Anyone familiar with Towyn I am sure will remember it--it may still be there as I haven't been to Towyn for probably close to 20 years.

Comment

I miss the delicious trifles that cake shops used to sell.
                                Wirral Writer
                                www.alantoner.com

Comment

Working...
                                X