Cake Shops and traditional cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cake Shops and traditional cakes

All you get these days are supermarket bakers with their sophisticated continental cakes or cream cakes.
    I miss stuff like Rock Buns with the little splodge of jam in the top, those pyramid shaped sponge cakes covered in apricot jam and coconut, those small round cakes covered in yellow icing with the green bits sprinkled on top, individual jam tarts that you could get in traffic light colours (green was greenguage I think), fairy cakes completely covered in icing with a layer of apricot jam in the middle. In fact you can't even get a plain Iced Bun anymore unless its a lemon one with gooey icing.
    Is it the same all over Britain or is it just in the Midlands where independant bakers such as Wimbush and Taylors have disappeared?

The 'three cooks' chain doesn't count cos it sells the same stuff as supermarkets

Re: Cake Shops and traditional cakes

I know what you mean... the old traditional bakers who even made those tiny individual trifles... I loved those and as I didnt get them very often as a kid they were extra special. I guess this is why my kids love baking in the kitchen with me.. we make the old cakes that they wouldnt be able to taste otherwise.... rock cakes/real fairy cakes....... now that reminds me of a newspaper clipping I once read rgarding trades description act versus the PC brigade.........The PC brigade wanted to change the names of cakes tc to reflect the true ingredients.... My argument is this... I know fairy cakes that are sold are not made with real fairies.... but my kids reckon home made ones are 'MAGIC'
    sigpic
    Mrs Oggy
    ~~~*~~~*~~~
    Count your friends amongst the stars....
    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Loads of independent cake shops down here

Comment

I shall probably get slapped down for saying it but Wrights do an ok selection and we have a do have one or two cake shops in Stoke On Trent.
        Last edited by Heather74; 18-01-2008, 18:36.
        Heather

Comment

Ye probably know this cake by a different name but we call it 'Chester Cake' - it's like an Xmas pud but with a pastry base & top. Very tasty.

Comment

cant beat a good old "Manchester tart"..oh apart from Eccles cakes, Bakewell tarts and a good ole fashioned Egg Custard.
            Heather

Comment

Now you mention it...there's quite a few cakes named after Northern towns isn't there.
              It's true you can still buy Eccles cakes and custard tarts etc but I am on about the kind of cake shops that had everything displayed in the window and put em in a paper bag.
              Not pre packed in packs of four.

Comment

We still have a Chatwins, Burgess's and Allen's two of which are family run, and all sell individual cakes and gingerbread men/shapes
                Last edited by Heather74; 18-01-2008, 18:37.
                Heather

Comment

Heather is right ! We have agreat lot of family owned bakeries round here ! I don't count Chatwins because even though it IS a genuine family bakers - it originates in Nantwich, which is Cheshire !!

We have Allen's (who's bakery is attached to the shop at the rear), Burgess's and Wrights - both local shops but they both do most of their baking at one central bakery and ship them out to their shops in the six towns which make up Stoke-on-Trent. All three dispaly their wares in the shop windows, and they include everything mentioned from iced rolls and Chelsea buns to fresh cream eclairs and cream horns! And yes RiJoJo, that includes jam tarts and Madelaines (the jam and coconut pyramids !!).

Wrights have started to 'export' some of their products further afield and actually supply our Soldiers abroad with their famous Wrights Meat and Potato Pies !! If you look carefully, you will see an Ad for them in the background of Ian Beale's chippy on Eastenders !! BUT if you live near one of their outlet shops, you can still buy them fresh from the oven - and they do a lovely sugar topped fruit loaf and afresh cream apple turnover to DIE for !!
                  Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                  <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

ooo! meat and potato pie sounds great..we use to get them on night shift. not sure if they were same brand..will check

Comment

can't find the packaging online:cry:

I get a pie down here made by the Real pie company..
                      the best pie I have EVER tasted.. so much prime meat in it its mad!
                      never had one piece of muck or gristle..the best
                      http://www.therealpieco.co.uk/

Comment

Seems like it's only around here then that the bakers have disappeared....hmmm
                        A trip up north is in order at some time methinks

Comment

*Drooling* they look delicious!! This thread is not helping my diet
                          Heather

Comment

My kids LOVE my home made meat and potato pie which I make in a large roasting tin ! Come up and see us sometime Daz and I'll make one - and I'll treat you to a Wrights version so's you can compare them
                            Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                            <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

very tempting

Comment

Working...
                              X