Robertson's Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robertson's Jam

Golliwogs are not politically correct,Daz, as nooooo human looks like that. Unless you want black people(specifically) to make little white dolls with thin *** lips, no asses, no breasts dirty clothes, betroot red cheeks and smellin of gone off milk and mash potatoes . Great innocent and fun idea right????? No i didn't think so....., golliwogs are a racist generalisation of what black people look like ... Google it... As you can see ignorance gets you no where.

Comment

Originally posted by offendedblackgirl View Post
      Golliwogs are not politically correct,Daz, as nooooo human looks like that. Unless you want black people(specifically) to make little white dolls with thin *** lips, no asses, no breasts dirty clothes, betroot red cheeks and smellin of gone off milk and mash potatoes . Great innocent and fun idea right????? No i didn't think so....., golliwogs are a racist generalisation of what black people look like ... Google it... As you can see ignorance gets you no where.
      True but there is a difference between ignorance and racism. The children who had the toys probably had no racist feeling towards black people so in that sense it was innocent. But yes the toys are very stereotypical and outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by offendedblackgirl View Post
        Tiny Tears didn't have breasts either. Nooooo human looks like a Strawberry Shortcake doll. I wasn't aware gollies had "dirty clothes" or were meant to smell of "gone off milk and mash potatoes".

I don't think anyone would disagree with you that the last three letters of the original name for gollies had offensive racial connotations which is why, out of consideration to racial sensitivity, they've been dropped. But the dolls themselves are generally remembered with much affection by the people who had them and to read something into that that isn't there could be considered inverted racism.

I think if I joined a site dedicated to nostalgia, called myself offendedwhitegirl and with my first post stamped on happy, affectionate memories of stereotypical caucasian dolls with accusations that Sindy misrepresented white people because she had a disproportionately large head (and possibly was discriminatory against people suffering encephalitis), or how even surgically enhanced white women couldn't compete with Barbie's vital statistics and she was a racial generalization of what white woman look like I'd probably have to have a think about my own prejudices.

This is a friendly site. The only racially intolerant post I've read on here is yours and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by wondering if in fact you are white and a troll.

Comment

Thank you! You've said it all for me there Claudine.

DYR is all about fond childhood memories nothing more, nothing less, the named poster maybe a grumpy old sod(self admitted) but he's no racist.

Personally I loved my golly.
          Heather

Comment

I loved my Golly too ! His colourful clothes and friendly smile always made me happy. Oh ! and my very favourite toy as a child was a beautiful black doll named Dinah. We were inseperable.
            Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
            <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Oh and by the way - no one LOOKS like a Cabbage Patch doll - black or white !
              Do you hear us moaning about them ? Noooooooo !

Comment

I only managed to save enough tokens in the 80's to get one golly badge, and how proud of it was i. You could choose which one you wanted. I got the cook one he had a little white chefs hat on and a mixing bowl in his hands. Reminded me a bit of the Homepride chef. They had very white faces as I recall, was any black people offended that there wasnt any black homepride chefs at the time??? Its a shame that they had to get rid of the golly icon on the jam as it seemed to upset people, i am thinking that the people who it offended weren't actually black and started stiring trouble as they wanted to appear politically correct. you can still buy golly memorabilia though which is good it hasnt all gone underground!!
                "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

Originally posted by joybee View Post
                  Oh and by the way - no one LOOKS like a Cabbage Patch doll - black or white !

well, not quite correct joy

(for those who don't watch soap-land, its Heather from Eastenders .......

...on the right )
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Awwww shame on you Dave ! (ROFL)

Comment

Bring back Golliwogs to Robertson's products NOW! Paddington bear is boring.

Comment

I wish they still had the Golly on the Robertson's Jam jars it's not the same I loved cutting out the little tokens from the jars and sending them off. Luckily my Dad, Grandma and I loved jam and I used to say keep on eating the Jam! Here is my collection of them............

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	jam.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	260161 This is my collection of Robertson's Jam Golly's. Think this photo is too small. As I kept getting the upload rejected for being too big.
                          Last edited by Beach Life; 19-11-2012, 16:45.

Comment

Shame that Robertson's Jam is no longer trading. One of the hallmarks of British foods. I think they made a major mistake phasing out Golly in favour of Paddington Bear to promote their line. As they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Comment

i did not actually know robertsons where no longer around and when did olly go i cant remember.

they may have been forced to get rid of golly instead of robertsons wanting to do it.

Originally posted by fatpizzaman View Post
                              Shame that Robertson's Jam is no longer trading. One of the hallmarks of British foods. I think they made a major mistake phasing out Golly in favour of Paddington Bear to promote their line. As they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to have some of the badges as a kid and my grandmother knitted me one as a toy.Seemed harmless as a kid in fact kids back then were not often racial.I only remember two black kids at school.But the racial argument is a bit overplayed.In the 70s attitudes were different though.When you remember programmes like love thy neighbour,The stereotyped white biggot never won.In modern times you would only see this show on dvd.It was the publics increasing sensitivity towards racial conflict that saw it come to a halt after 8 series and a spin off film.

Quote "In December 2008 Premier Foods announced that it would discontinue jam in the UK under the Robertson brand in 2009. This would allow it to focus marketing on Robertson's Golden Shred Marmalade, and its more successful Hartleys jam brand. Premier is committed to the Robertson's Marmalade brand in the UK, and retains its successful jam, lemon curd, mincemeat and marmalade products under the brand outside the UK".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson%27s
                                Last edited by memoman; 24-11-2012, 15:47.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X