No announcement yet.

What music did your parents listen to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What music did your parents listen to?

Many of the ones already mentioned, strangely enough. Jim Reeves, Roy Orbison, Matt Munroe, Bing Crosby, Billy Fury, Perry Como, Bill Haley & The Comets, Andy Williams, Dean Martin... No Sinatra for some reason. My sisters had all the good stuff from the 60s and 70s for me to grow up on. My brother was a hippy and loved Pink Floyd.
    Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

MY mother use to like MAX BYGRAVES i always remember her singing YOU NEED HANDS it use to drive me mad.

Comment

My parents were not musical in the slightest so it was entirely up to me to introduce music into my household.

My mother was horrified at my choices..The Smiths, Bronski Beat, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Spandau Ballet, Bow Wow Wow! Then to really wind her up I started playing the bagpipes !!

Comment

Big band stuff!

tulip

Comment

Mum loved gene pitney, richard calyderman. Dad loved Hollies gilbert osullivan they used to boom it out on the old radiogram do you remember those old things it was my dads pride and joy.

Comment

hi, my dad loved listening to Jim Reeves, and shirely Bassey, not my kind of music though,

Comment

My mum likes country (e.g. Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton), also Irish (e.g. Daniel O'Donnell and Christy Moore). She also likes Bruce Springsteen. One 80s song she likes is Love and Pride by King.

My dad likes Cat Stevens, Van Morrison and a few others I can't remember.

Comment

Dean Martin - Jim Reeves - Ray Charles AND Johnny Cash - Gene Pitney -Tammy Wynette - Billy Jo Spears and Dolly Parton are some of the stars that my parents loved when I was very little that I like very much today..... but would never admit to it publicly.

Comment

There was a distinct lack of anything remotely credible in my childhood home.

No Pink Floyd, Dylan or Hendrix. Not even the Stones or Beatles.

I had to make do with the likes of Lindesfarne and Neil Sedaka!

However, one gem I remember has to be this classic, the cover brings all them memories flooding back.

Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

Comment

My Mum likes stuff like Celene Dion, Dido & Norah Jones.

My Dad has a very wide taste in music, & my sister & her friends were amused when he bought best of CDs of Kylie & Brittney Spears in a short time, along with a best of Reggae compilation.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

When I was a kid my mum liked Richard Clayderman, Andy Williams, Bee Gees and pap like that.

My dad liked Herman's Hermits, Gilbert O'Sillivan, Neil Diamond, The Nolans, The Hollies, James Last (EEK!) and Mantovani.

So, as you can see, neither of my parents have much of a good taste in music, lol.
                        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirl View Post
                          MY mother use to like MAX BYGRAVES i always remember her singing YOU NEED HANDS it use to drive me mad.

Max Bygraves ?
                          I'm sure that would be regarded as child abuse in the 21st century Shirl

..........and I thought I had it tough

Comment

ow my mum and dad ever got together is beyond me,

she was into Boney M and then Abba whils his record collection consisted of Black Sabbath, Mike Oldfield and Fleetwood Mac
                            To have an idea is ideal, to have an ideal is idiocy

Comment

fleetwood mac, peter gabriel , kate bush , tina turner,cat stevens, dire straits, ian dury & the blockheads....

Comment

My parents did not listen to music!! However their Japanese transistor radio was always tuned to Radio 2 so that's what I was subjected to and my mother would listen to Radio 4 in the car. I on the other hand was and still am obsessed with all forms of music and introduced bagpipes and The Smiths into my household with mixed reactions from all parties involved!

Comment

Working...
                                X