Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What songs make you happy??.... Or make you Cry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What songs make you happy??.... Or make you Cry?

ELO's Mr. Blue Sky - another one that always gives me a lift

Comment

This one always gives me a lift.......

Comment

Eduard Khil -- I Am Glad, Cause I'm Finally Returning Back Home (aka Trololo Song) (1976)

Up until a few years ago Eduard Khil was an obscure (to the rest of the world) Russian singer until this song went viral on the internet. Originally the song had lyrics which, strangely enough for a Russian song, was about a cowboy riding home to his sweetheart. The substitution of the original lyrics with "Trololo" led to stories about the lyrics being banned by Soviet authorities. It was in fact the result of a disagreement between the composer and lyricist. Nevertheless this song always makes me smile when I hear it.

Comment

"Wind Beneath My Wings" always makes me cry as well.
          venus, china in my hand,walk like an egyptian, eternal flame stay, money money money, super touper, dancing queen, and many more make me happy.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Loves a mystery ,by The Tubes.Brings tears to my eyes in a lovely sad way!

Comment

Middle of the road Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep made me cry when I was young as my Mum spent a bit of time in hospital with my baby sister and the lines "where's your mama gone" always started the tears as I couldn't understand why she wasn't coming home.
              Summer holiday by Cliff Richard(although don't consider me a fan of his) always makes me smile as My Dad always used to sing it to us on the morning of the start of our holidays.

Comment

This maudlin melody was really popular when I was in elementary school.

Terry Jacks -- Seasons In The Sun (1974)

Comment

hi mate yes thats one that makes me happy have not heard it in a long time.

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                  This maudlin melody was really popular when I was in elementary school.

Terry Jacks -- Seasons In The Sun (1974)

Comment

That makes me quite melancholy, have you heard the original Jacques Brel ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jl-R2NhUiI

Comment

Not so much happy or crying but there are a range of songs from the early 70's which make me feel safe, from 6-30am when my dad would leave for work and leave the radio on through the redifusion TV, Chirpy Chirpy cheep cheep (as mentioned above),George Harrisons "My sweet lord", The New Seekers "I'd like to teach the world to sing"...a few new seekers tracks actually.

Dead lucky me, my childhood memories are all of safety really.

Comment

I can not believe that i'd forgot to mention Nillson's "Without You" - I so so much love this song but it is so so sad at the time, as if it represents a funeral etc, but it is a great song just like John Denver and "Annie's Song", but that holds singnificance as it was played at my Uncle's Funeral, so i'll always like it now through that, though of course I always liked it anyway and could never understand why John was such an un-recognised talent.

I love the last one just mentioned too - by Terry Jack's "Season's In The Sun", though a lot of people I know think it is a horrible song, but I think it has poigant lyrics no question. If Terry's version is as good as Westlife's though - I think i'll have to let the Jury obstain on that one and if pushed i'd say Westlife's would win - just!! As well another total classic from the 1980s I love ius Mike and The Mechanics and The Living Years, which holds a mixture of emotion's, that is sung to perfection by Mike and the rest of them. It could just easily possibly I feel qualify in the top 5 if not 3 or 4 greatest song's of the 80s!

Comment

oe i have just remembered nd it makes me both hapy and sad is the glory of love by peter cetera.

it really is a superb song and i have loved it since i first heard in the karate kid part 2.

Comment

I had nearly forgot too, it just came back to memory, how much I used to really really like Peters and Lee, after they became un-known for a bit I recall they had a brief resurgence in popularity in the 1990s. In my area we had a chain store in those day's called Ethel Austin which was a bit of an up-market version of Poundland and Poundstretcher and their Music was very very popular with the other music tapes Ethel Austin sold from the era.

I used to love a lot of their cover versions, they were sang excellently - which cover versions are not often I feel. I recall I think (believe though i'm not 100% sure they did a great cover of Lionel Richie's "Hello", if not it was a very similar group, but regardless i've alway's loved the song), as I did with the great Late Luther Vandross' version too. I will have to try and recall if i've got Peters and Lee on CD. I think that Peters and Lee were a truly legendary great duet of singers indeed.
                            Last edited by 80sChav; 04-04-2012, 15:06.

Comment

another song i just love rgt makes me happy is take on me by aha.
                              its really is for me one of the most icnooc songs of the eighties.

Comment

This is just brilliant. I reckon it was the best he ever did.

Comment

Working...
                                X