1970's pubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1970's pubs

As somebody said on here I was NEVER allowed in pubs as a kid.

The nearest thing was buying stuff from the ATTACHED off-licence. In fact, in the pub I recall in Didcot the off licence was run by the same bar staff that ran the pub bar. You could even see the people in the pub THROUGH the off-licence, when you were sent to buy smokes for your parents.

Comment

I've heard that pubs used to sometimes have an adjoining off licence shop which also sold things like sweets & crisps as well as alcoholic drinks.

Often you needed to ring a bell to be served at times when there wasn't enough staff to man the counter.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

One of our locals had an Offy next door, but it seemed to be run by different staff. The other didn't have an Offy but a pub slightly further away had one opposite. We used to walk to the Offy with my dad on payday (friday) to pick sweets, I used to get Superman Sweet Cigarettes.

With its Bay Windows with the smoked glass and the odd bottle bottom ones the local seemed a very mysterious place when i'd walk past on Saturday mornings on the way to the newsagent to get my comics. You couldn't see in, and it stunk of the old beer they'd be hosing out. I really wish i'd seen the inside before it became an Ember inn. I never realised just how old the local pub to my parents' was, they gave me a book on the local area and that dates it back to the 1600s!

Comment

I didnt start going out until 1985, but would love to go back to those 1970's boozers

Comment

when i was about 12 years old, i used to go to the pub at the end of the street for a jug of mild for a guy who used to live across the street from us. i'd go to the side door, the barman would come and get the jug and money from me, fill it, then i would be off. i always had a sip from the jug on the way home. they wouldn't serve anyone like that these days.

Comment

They also had the pay phone somewhere in the bar,if someone needed a taxi home,jukeboxes one armed bandit pool tables dart board,mens and womens darts teams

Comment

Working...
              X