which comic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comics

wow stu you got a real good memory for things gone by mate,well done.all the comics you mentioned are very familiar to me.i had beano and dandy every week and the annuals at xmas.i liked so many characters,ones that come to mind straight away are the 3 bears,winker watson,bash street kids,desperate dan and lord snooty.my sister always had bunty,i used to take great pleasure in drawing beards,scars,black teeth etc on almost every page!!!!! just the thing a very naughty little brother was supposed to do in those days.......................

Comment

Used to get the Beano. Loved Smudge and the Bash Street Kids. Other than that, I'd read what I was given. Pass-me-down comics from cousins and neighbours.

As I got older, I loved Scoop (a mix of sports features and comic strips). I especially remember a football star whisked to the future to help form a team of human rebels that would play a robot team in a cup final or be executed.

Then comics gave way to BMX magazines as my teenage years collided with the blue-tyred bike fad.

Comment

Yeah faceache was in the buster, along with buster himself (allegedlly the son of andy capp !), cliff hanger a strip that had a multiple choice challenge at the end to try and save the hero, and the leopard from lime street, a teenager who dressed as a leopard, leaping across the rooftops fighting crime !
        Also in Buster was gums, a great white shark with yes you've guessed it no teeth !

Comment

Gums did have teeth, but they were false ones that kept coming out. I used to get the Nutty. The only thing that was really worth reading in that was Bananaman though. Before the television cartoon started, I started noticing lots of changes being made. The police chief was originally a native American indian, complete with head-dress. Eric Wimp, (that's Wimp not Twinge), had less hair, and looked more like a young skin-head and he wore a yellow jumper instead of a red one. Bananaman's costume was slightly different too. No sign of "Crow" to begin with and Bananaman's main enemy was Apple Man.
          Last edited by M.I.K.; 17-04-2006, 20:42.

Comment

Originally posted by stu
            Boys comics I remember getting. Victor, Valiant, Warlord, Hotspur, Hornet, Action, Battle, Eagle, Wizard, Lion These were mainly war stories, with a couple of sport based characters, bit of Sci Fi

Then you had the cartoon type, Beano, Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Buster, Beezer, Cor!!, Cracker, Nutty, Shiver and Shake, Sparky, Topper, Knockout

Then you had the football based ones, Shoot, Scorcher, Roy of the Rovers

Commando, where a pocket size war stories
            We always got two comics on a saturday morning, and had so many different ones cause the always gave a free gift with the frist couple of issues
            Add these to your lists:

Tiger, Hurricane, Buddy, Speed, Topper, Krazy, Cheeky, 2000AD, Tornado, Starlord, Action, Whoopee, Monster Fun, Bobo Bunny, Tv21, Target, Tv Action, Countdown, Look-In, Vulcan, Warrior, Plug, The Crunch, Knockout, Smash, Pow, jackpot, Donald and Mickey, Goofy, Dr Who weekly/Monthly, Tv Comic, Pippin, Disneyland, Bunty, Misty, Scream, Jackie,

any more?
            Last edited by Oggy; 12-10-2006, 18:37.

Comment

Re: which comic?

My favourite comic when I was a kid was Bullet. It had this cheesy main character called Fireball who looked a bit like Magnum, big hair & tash and flares and always getting into some major death defying predicament each week. It was a spin off from the more established and popular comic Warlord. I joined the Bullet club & from what I remember you had to send a postal order for 25p (which seemed a lot at the time) and you got a red plastic wallet with like an id card & a black plastic pendant which had an embossed gold letter F with flames around it. One of the free gifts I remember was some sort of extreme survival guide. Sounds really silly by todays standards but I never missed a copy. I also used to get the original 2000ad and remember the bionic stickers which came as a free gift, they were meant to look like steel and electronics under the skin like the bionic man, so I stuck them to my arms and legs and jumped off our house extension thinking I was somehow stronger, hehe! I wasnt hurt btw!

Comment

I did exactly the same! and never try running with that huge Fireball pendant on, it whacks you in the face

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                  I did exactly the same! and never try running with that huge Fireball pendant on, it whacks you in the face

haha! it was a hefty thing, i gotta get me one of those from ebay or somewhere now!

Comment

Would love to see one again,I remember it came on a flat plastic cord,with a little plastic wallet

Last edited by sixtyten; 19-03-2007, 23:33.

Comment

Exactly right. I now remember the membership wallet had some sort of story or biography of how Fireball came about being the amazing dude he was and this also was the key to coded messages posted in the comic which looked like a series of random numbers. You had take the code, for example 10,25 which meant read line 10 character 25 in the story to decipher the message. You could also code your own messages to fellow Bullet members who had the story.
                      Last edited by noggie; 20-03-2007, 00:09.

Comment

Wow Daz! You've found it!!! I had that!

Comment

Thanks Daz, you really brought back the memory with that

Comment

I was a member of the Dennis the menace fan club and the beano was 10p when i first started getting it .I remember i only started buying it at first because it had a free pack of sweets on the front..lol I still have every edition from 1985 uptill 1991 at my mums in clear sleeves.Hopeing they might be worth summet some day.I loved Billy wizz and Minnie the minx.I did some work at DC Thompsons in dundee(where they print the beano and dandy ) and i got to read some of the new stuff .Its 85p now and all glossy and full of adverts.Strange though in the edition i got to read (pre proof) it had a recipie for cat poo biscuits I kid you not ..unreal.What have they done to the beano

Comment

the comics I grew up reading were Beezer and topper( think thats right) the beano and wizzer and chips, still got an annual of the latter some where,it has santa going down the chimmney and sid(??) the snake on the cover.
                              Heather

Comment

the only comics i got each week were Battle Weekly & the Commando books, although when i was 12-14 my uncle used to work in a newsagents and rather send the unsolds back to the printers, he used to give them to me and my 3 sisters

they used to be in the 60's a comic called "look & learn", my mam and her brothers & sisters used to get it off a boy who lived in their street once he'd finished reading it. the boys name? Rowan Atkinson!

Comment

Working...
                                X