Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which comic?

Originally posted by noggie View Post
    My favourite comic when I was a kid was Bullet. It had this cheesy main character called Fireball who looked a bit like Magnum, big hair & tash and flares and always getting into some major death defying predicament each week. It was a spin off from the more established and popular comic Warlord. I joined the Bullet club & from what I remember you had to send a postal order for 25p (which seemed a lot at the time) and you got a red plastic wallet with like an id card & a black plastic pendant which had an embossed gold letter F with flames around it. One of the free gifts I remember was some sort of extreme survival guide. Sounds really silly by todays standards but I never missed a copy. I also used to get the original 2000ad and remember the bionic stickers which came as a free gift, they were meant to look like steel and electronics under the skin like the bionic man, so I stuck them to my arms and legs and jumped off our house extension thinking I was somehow stronger, hehe! I wasnt hurt btw!
    If you have got a spare £175 (ono) it would buy you the first three issues on ebay , with the free gifts.
    Heather

Comment

When I was very small, I had one that I think was called "Little Star" - or maybe something like "Twinkle". As I got older, I had Mandy, and then Jackie. I think it was Mandy that always seemed to have stories about a girl who had an evil arch-enemy, but no-one else would believe they were evil. One time it was a girl whose younger sister was "replaced" by an evil alien (yes, really!). Of course, the evil character always failed in the end. Jackie was aimed at teenage girls - stories, fashion and makeup articles, etc. There was another one called Pink - aimed at older teenagers, I think. I remember a Girl Guide camp where someone had brought a copy, and it was passed around and read by everyone over the course of the weekend (though I think the Guiders disapproved ).
      The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

i used to like "The comp" then moved onto "Smash hits, look in and J17".
        "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Comment

me and my brother used to have a big rivalry, he went out every saturday and bought the beano and i went and bought the dandy.....

in the end i have to hold my hand up and say i preferred the beano

Comment

I was a comics freak - every week I used to get Beano, Buster, Whizzer & Chips, Eagle and every so often The Beezer, Topper, Dandy, Whoopee.
            Also every month got the 2 Beano comic libraries. Still have them all

Comment

Here I go again - I KNOW I'm ancient, but mine was School Friend
              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

my personal favourties were Bunty - Particularly reading The Four Mary's,
                Diana, Jackie....... also liked Disco45 for the songwords. Remember learning the words to "Billy don't be a Hero" - (Oh dear!!)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by karenbrown18 View Post
                  my personal favourties were Bunty - Particularly reading The Four Mary's,
                  Diana, Jackie....... also liked Disco45 for the songwords. Remember learning the words to "Billy don't be a Hero" - (Oh dear!!)
                  Ha! That's just popped up on my 'guilty pleasures' playlist

Hang on - Helen Reddy's Angie Baby's next.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                    the comics I grew up reading were Beezer and topper( think thats right) the beano and wizzer and chips, still got an annual of the latter some where,it has santa going down the chimmney and sid(??) the snake on the cover.

once more huggie you hit the bullseye!...
                    think its the 1978 annual ...on the shelf right next to me now

Will take a piccie over the weekend & post on here

A thread for annuals..Battle, Warlord, Victor, Whizzer & Chips, Knockout etc etc with a photo attached of each year's would be lovely
                    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I bought a fair few, from the DC comics Spider-man ones through New Eagle, Scream, Monster Fun, Krazy, Cheeky, etc.

Incidentally, I saw a copy of Krazy over here in an antique shop of all places the other day. It was dated Feb 5th 1977 but i'm pretty sure the cover was spelt "Crazy" and not "Krazy" as I had remembered, might be an Aussie thing.

I had a quick read and there were a few characters i'd forgotten about - Birdman and Chicken (the boy blunder), The 12½p Buytonic Boy, Paws etc.
                      I even recognised the cover from when I read it as a kid, had a big gorilla walking down a street!

edit: picture was found at http://www.toonhound.com/fleetway.htm

Last edited by Mulletino; 04-02-2008, 03:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Grackle View Post
                        When I was very small, I had one that I think was called "Little Star" - or maybe something like "Twinkle". As I got older, I had Mandy, and then Jackie. I think it was Mandy that always seemed to have stories about a girl who had an evil arch-enemy, but no-one else would believe they were evil. One time it was a girl whose younger sister was "replaced" by an evil alien (yes, really!). Of course, the evil character always failed in the end. Jackie was aimed at teenage girls - stories, fashion and makeup articles, etc. There was another one called Pink - aimed at older teenagers, I think. I remember a Girl Guide camp where someone had brought a copy, and it was passed around and read by everyone over the course of the weekend (though I think the Guiders disapproved ).
                        the story in mandy you are talking about, the one about the sister who was replaced by an alien was called "the little stranger". it was one of my all time faves in mandy. no-one would believe the girl when she said that her sister had changed. the little alien girl had curly hair like shirley temple if i remember. and angel was another of my favourite stories. she used to help the waifs and strays of victorian london. genius!!

Comment

Originally posted by bumblelady View Post
                          dennis the menace beano

was anyone in the fan club?
                          Lol, yeah, I joined in the mid 80's. Shame I've lost the things that I got from joining.
                          My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more,

Comment

Originally posted by noggie View Post
                            ... I also used to get the original 2000ad and remember the bionic stickers which came as a free gift, they were meant to look like steel and electronics under the skin like the bionic ma.,..
                            said stickers, as advertised in Battle & Valiant 19 Feb 1977

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by bluejay View Post
                              the story in mandy you are talking about, the one about the sister who was replaced by an alien was called "the little stranger". it was one of my all time faves in mandy. no-one would believe the girl when she said that her sister had changed. the little alien girl had curly hair like shirley temple if i remember. and angel was another of my favourite stories. she used to help the waifs and strays of victorian london. genius!!
                              I remember 'Angel' well, she ended up dying didn't she? I got Mandy, Bunty, Jinty, Misty, Debbie, Tracy(not out for too long). I've started collecting retro girls' annuals recently.
                              In Mandy I remember 'Valda' -about the girl who was hundreds of years old who used the 'crystal of life' to keep her young and mad strong. 'The double life of Julie Ellen' about a girl who couldn't decide between two boys so disguised herself and pretended to be two people.
                              The earliest I remember reading after I grew out of 'Twinkle' was 'The Living Lie of Laura Hurst' (dramatic title) about a poverty stricken girl who stole the identity of a rich girl who died in a carriage accident so she could care for her little sister.
                              Bunty had the well remembered and enduring 'Four Mary's (Cotty, Simpy, Raddy and Fieldy)
                              A great one called 'The Hall of Mirrors'(at least I think it was in Bunty) where people went in and came out evil...but everything in their appearance was the reverse as if their reflections had come out of the mirrors with the bad side of their personality.
                              'A doll called Dinkydoo' -adventures of a doll who'd failed the quality control inspection in the factory she was made.
                              Jinty had many great stories one of which was 'Human Zoo' about aliens and 'The Forbidden Garden' about a land where no plants can survive and a girl finds one little flower (sounds boring but it was good).
                              'Misty' was class, I have a few old annuals, they're great.

Comment

Those 2000ad gifts in full..

Comment

Working...
                                X