Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zodiac Toy Shops

Hi, me again.

That's fascinating about the staff 'bartering'. Seems a funny word, but I presume you mean staff theft. Or do you mean staff swapping goods, giving away goods to mates in other shops, and so on???

Years after being a little Zodiac customer, I ended up an assistant manager in another Arndale Shop, so I have actually been in those tunnels beneath the Arndale Centre. Little did I know, they'd played host to such scandal!!!!

But yes, as a child, Zodiac was the dream end to every trip to Manchester. Thank you, Zodiac.

Comment

Ah yes I remember Zodiac in Wolverhampton. We were quite spoiled for toy shops cos we had the Beatties department store, BD Price Bikes and toys and a shop called Playschool (or Playskool) not far from Zodiac. Am I right in remembering though that Zodiac didn't stock the 'Star Wars' action figures. I seem to remember having to go to the others to get these.

Thanks for the website.....great stuff

Comment

Zodiac Wolverhampton.
        In 1972 I was across the other side of Mander Square as manager of the electrical/white goods dept of Woolworth (their largest UK store) selling fridges, dishwashers etc. I became disenchanted with the "Wonder of Woolworth" and saw an ad for Area manager Zodiac in the local paper. I applied and for several months I managed the new Zodiac branch, before being let loose on half a dozen stores in the Midlands.
        The Wolverhampton store was very busy despite the afore mentioned competition and in the early 80s we acquired the unit next door and doubled the size.
        I used the Wolverhampton branch as my regional office not far from home in Walsall.

STAR WARS figures .....
        We sold thousands of them and were often out of stock (in 1984 we sold 150,000 at £1.49 each from 80 branches)

I'll sort out a list of best selling lines from the info I have circa 1984/5 ... later.
        Everything passes and vanishes, everything leaves its trace,
        Often you see in a footstep, what you could not see in a face.

Comment

Great thread, very informative

Comment

I'm sure there was a Zodiac Toys at Woolwich - not completely sure though!
            sigpic

Comment

You are correct Karen ..... this is the store in 1981 on Powis street, just after the conversion from YOUNGSTERS to ZODIAC. In 1984 it was completely refitted. Unfortunately with a rent of £65000 it never made a profit. Note the window posters for Disco Skates ... more about those later.

Comment

Thanks for that... I have a vague memory of buying the game "Solitaire" from there, only place i could get it t the time.
                sigpic

Comment

Now for some boxed games .......

Comment

Fantastic! more please

If you look carefully you'll see a young Ben Volpeliere-Pierrot (Curiosity Killed the Cat) on the front of the Pop Quiz game
                    Last edited by sixtyten; 17-02-2008, 19:08.

Comment

Now thats what we want!
                      Heather

Comment

Wow!! Brilliant!

sigpic

Comment

Who do you love? Sindy or Barbie?

Poor selection of Sindy here as we could never get enough of the fast selling lines like the Super Home at £27.95, Gig and Horse etc.
                          Zodiac's lookalike was Rachel.

Comment

Now that is a difficult one................. no Sorry can't choose between the two!! LOL
                            sigpic

Comment

With out a doubt 100% Sindy wins hands down everytime for me!
                              Heather

Comment

So it was you who bought all the stock, was it?

Comment

Working...
                                X