1970's radiogram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1970's radiogram

No idea what happened to it in the end. I remember it was Xmas 1978.
    I had just got a copy of Love Bites by the Buzzcocks of Christmas and went up to room to play it and discovered my Dad had bought a separates HIFI system for me..
    Never used the Dansette much again after that, think it got thrown, but no doubt worth a lot nowdays

Comment

Here's a pic from the mid 70s with our old HMV (His Master's Voice - before it became a music shop) radiogram in it, you could put more than one record on the special arm so it played them one after the other by dropping them on top of the last record.

My brother is sporting our dad's groovy dressing gown and me a home knit tank top because my mum couldn't do sleeves.

God knows how she got it to fit over that gigantic melon I called a head then!

Also found some at http://www.thecatalogshop.co.uk namely:

Also my parents replaced ours with a "Music Centre" a bit like this:

Except ours was less plastic looking with a metal front and small buttons that you only had to touch to use, used to really confuse my mum when she was dusting.
      Last edited by Mulletino; 11-02-2008, 04:32.

Comment

Aaah the home knitted tank top. My Mum couldn't do stripes never mind sleeves! Did anyone ever have one knitted in wool that was 'unpicked' from something equally hideous?

Comment

Very similar to the one we had. I remember it well and can even remember when it finally died.

My sister was playing records on it and the sound just cut out in the middle of a song. My dad blamed the music she was playing. I can't see why myself it was only The Carpenters.
          Laugh and the world laughs with you.
          But do it all the time and they will lock you away.
          sigpic

Comment

LOL Morcar i can just hear my Dad there,"Ever likely the rubbish you play on it"
            Heather

Comment

NOT if it were the Carpenters Hev - he loved them !! Still got his boxed set - CARPENTERS From the Top

now if you were playing Nik Kershaw........
              Last edited by joybee; 18-02-2008, 18:25.
              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Mulletino's brother is the original Harry Potter!
                You didn't have a neighbour called Joanne did you??

Comment

I rescued one like in Huggies photo from my Gran late 60's early 70's. Took out the old bakelite arm and gubbings and replaced it with an ultra modern arm and turntable form our dansette. I painted the exterior white with two go-faster stripes. A mate had a spare speaker cone which i housed in a box made in school woodwork class and hay presto stereo(ish). The dogs danglies until I could afford a proper philips stereo player probably mid 70's. Great memories
                  The eyes have it!
                  sigpic

Comment

We had a stereogram. lasted til I was about 13. Parents went out and bought a cheap philips midi system after that but kept the stereogram to put the midi system on. The speakers were rubbish on the philips so remember taking apart the stereogram and wiring the speakers to the midi system. Parents got a shock when they turned it on and had tons of bass.

Comment

I believe dad built our one.
                      One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

This is closest to the one we had.

Got rid of it in about 1983 and replaced it with one of of those midi hi-fi's. A bit like this (image too big to post) but it had two tape decks so you could record songs off the turntable, make compilation tapes, then copy them for your mates.
                        Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Ridski..

Just been rooting through your 'made in the 70's blog' -- good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by kass View Post
                            Aaah the home knitted tank top. My Mum couldn't do stripes never mind sleeves! Did anyone ever have one knitted in wool that was 'unpicked' from something equally hideous?
                            Uh-ooooh...horrendous balaclava flashback

Comment

We never had a radiogram. We just had a radio until 16th August 1977 when Elvis died and my dad went out and bought a GEC music centre (similar to the Hitachi one earlier in the thread) and proceeded to brainwash me and mum with every Elvis album he could get his hands on. We had it until he upgraded to a Phillips midi system in the late 80's when CDs came out. Once that packed up he never bothered again because he had sky and a dvd player to keep him happy.
                              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Does anyone on here still have a stereo system?? I know we haven't for a good few years, we have 3 ipods with speakers in our house, and only ever listen to the radio in the car..
                                Last edited by chilligrape; 27-08-2009, 14:46. Reason: spelling
                                ...chilli...

Comment

Working...
                                X