1970's radiogram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1970's radiogram

I've still got a stereo made up of seperate units.

The amplifier, record player & tuner were my Dad's, & when he got a new system it went into our spare room for a few years.

Later on I started to use it, & got a new tape deck to replace the original which had developed a fault.

Since then I've added a CD player, MD player (still in use) & connected it to my DVD player to get a high quality 2 channel output.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I've still got a stereo made up of seperate units.

The amplifier, record player & tuner were my Dad's, & when he got a new system it went into our spare room for a few years.

Later on I started to use it, & got a new tape deck to replace the original which had developed a fault.

Since then I've added a CD player, MD player (still in use) & connected it to my DVD player to get a high quality 2 channel output.
      My seperates are in the dining room. In the early 90's I came across some share certificates i'd forgotten about (profit sharing from a previous job) and found that they were worth a couple of thousand pounds so i sold them and bought Pioneer seperates. Speakers, Amp/Receiver, 6 disc cd, twin tape deck, turntable and graphic equaliser. Cost me about £1500 at the time. Later added a Sony MD player/recorder and Pioneer Cd recorder (which I used for transferring vinyl to CD). It will all probably end up in my daughters bedroom because it all works as well as when I bought it all.

My main system now runs through the amp and surround sound speakers linked to my tv. I have a Sony hard drive recorder that holds 999 albums with space for 400 tracks on each. Best thing I ever bought. saves loadsa space.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Not had a actual stereo for years, but do have a Pure DMX Micro system (radio/DAB/CD) but not even used that since I got my 32gb iPod touch and sony speaker system..its about a foot long, 6 inches high and sounds great..the ipod holds thousands of tracks and hundreds of albums

Comment

I must say I love my i pod. goes everywhere with me, and I hook it up n the car too.
          ...chilli...

Comment

My husband had a radio gram once back in the 70,s it was very long, the knobs were all inside, the oak lid lifted up, when the lid was put down there was nothing just a plain long oak box, it looked just like an oak coffin, I had that out of the house real fast

Comment

omg my parents had a radiogram..........I remember playing my first Black Sabbath album on it and my mother saying......."That's nice dear" when she probably meant 'Turn that dreadful noise down!'........I used it because it had a better sound than my little old mono player

It was similar to this

Click image for larger version

Name:	rg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	260005

Comment

Our neighbour had a radiogram. Her whole house was decked out like a Spanish Villa and she liked to play Julio Inglesias albums on it. I used to go around and be a nuisance during the summer holidays, playing with her collection of rocks from foreign lands and spinning on her big faux leather winged chairs.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

My gran had one of those radiograms with everything under lids.

I can't remember being allowed to use it, but I remember she replaced it with a high spec Amstrad Stereo where almost everything was remote controlled, even the record deck.

One thing that wasn't was the disc size switch so after I played some singles on it my Gran was wondering why it was playing her LP's from the middle.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My Gran still has one as part of the furniture in her front room. Don't think it's been used in many years though.

Comment

One of my friends got a lovely 1970s PYE G63 that we always listen to when he has a party. Almost always plays vinyl on it, but if the girls complain about the "old fashioned music" (Philistines...) We wire up an iPod dock to the inputs via the highly scientific method of crocodile clips. Love those wonderful old machines.
                      If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        My gran had one of those radiograms with everything under lids.

I can't remember being allowed to use it, but I remember she replaced it with a high spec Amstrad Stereo where almost everything was remote controlled, even the record deck.

One thing that wasn't was the disc size switch so after I played some singles on it my Gran was wondering why it was playing her LP's from the middle.

My Gran and Grandasd had one as well Richard. I think a lot from the 40s and 50s generation ahd them. My Granma gave me her's when I got my own place, sadly it was well into decline by then (but it made a gorgous sideboard) and it was ace for hiding like say CD's you never wanted people to known you owned (in it). Sadly though then it was falling into total dis-repair, and I gave it away to my next door neighbour as it was congesting any room it was in (and he had a bigger house) to keep it in. I think even he had to get rid after a few year's though - due to the length of it etc etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=joybee;80272]This one was mine - I bought it myself out of my savings when I was thirteen - much to my mum's disgust (Fancy wasting money on one of those things !!) Mine was a brown colour though.

Ah yes i remember this machine.

my mum and dad had one of these as well.
                          i think we had ours till the mid eightuies if i remember right.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I like your Radiogram , Darren. It is well cool, it look's really smart and trendy indeed.

Comment

Working...
                            X