Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comedians... who have you seen?

Hi Guys,

Who's the funniest stand up comedian in your view? Who have you seen live? What's the funniest DVD you've seen lately?

I went to see Chubby Brown last year and howled with laughter from start to finish. I saw Bob Monkhouse years ago (at a works Christmas do) I thought he'd suck but was actually very funny and a lot naughtier than I was expecting him to be - a lot oranger too actually come to that...:cry:
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Comedians... who have you seen?

Bob was a legend. I wish i'd been fortunate enough to see him live.

I've seen Punt and Dennis, Lee Evans and Eddie Izzard live (P & D were the best by a long way). The best comedians i've seen though are relatively unknown at the comedy store in Manchester. You usually get a showcase of 3 up and coming comedians and they are a decent night out.

Not many of the well known ones make me laugh. Russell Brand is annoying as is Michael McIntyres stupid voice, Russell Howard is just not funny. frankie Boyles dvd is good but he needs some new material. We seem to get the "Amy Winehouse looks like a campaign for distressed horse" line everytime he's on tv.

I like shows like The fast show and wish they'd bring back the mary Whitehouse experience. History today was a classic. I can recommend the tapes/cds of Knowing me, knowing you with Alan Partridge. The radio show was far funnier than any of the tv shows. If you like Steve Coogan that is.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
        Bob was a legend. I wish i'd been fortunate enough to see him live.

I like shows like The fast show and wish they'd bring back the mary Whitehouse experience. History today was a classic. I can recommend the tapes/cds of Knowing me, knowing you with Alan Partridge. The radio show was far funnier than any of the tv shows. If you like Steve Coogan that is.
        The Mary Whitehouse Experience was just brilliant - you see a rollerskate? A rusty old rollerskate that's been left out in the rain? That's your car that is.....
        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
        sigpic

Comment

Re: Comedians of the 80's/90's

Originally posted by kass View Post
          Oh and does anyone remember Graham Fellows who was Jilted John in the 70's? I saw him as John Shuttleworth recently, he was fantastic.
          I remember the TV show that was on, when he was on a bus with his manager (I think), trying to come up with a new song.

The manager started singing 'up and down like a bride's nightie...'

Comment

I saw Victoria Wood in 2001, & had a really good time.

It was one of the shows she had to delay because she had fibroids, & my Dad couldn't go, but I was free that night so I went with my Mum.

I've liked her work for ages & this was a real treat.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Back in the 80s I saw :

Lenny Henry who was very funny.
              Jim Davidson who was okay.
              Mike Reid who was pretty good.

By far the best though was Billy Connolly. I saw him twice and spent the two whole shows in agony because I couldn't stop laughing!
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Think the 'big names' that I've saw live were Bernard Manning and, a long time ago, Mick Miller - thought Mick was the funnier of the two, Manning just seemed to try and get his laughs from shocking comments
                Last edited by Danny; 01-05-2009, 09:54. Reason: spelling

Comment

Re: Comedians of the 70's 80's/90's

Saw Frank Carson in the mid-70's .. he was hilarious

Comment

I have never seen a comedian live.I would love to see John Shuttleworth.

Comment

There was a comedian who did a sketch show on TV in the 80's. Between the sketches he would pat on his thighs then breathe on his hand and point to the next sketch. I think the next sketch would slide across the screen from where he was pointing to. Can anyone remember who this comedian was?
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

That was Paul Squire

Comment

Watched Chubby Brown some time ago live.He is hit and miss as his material and is a bit repetative.I can remember watching the black abbots many years ago live.Also some live version of Bread (From the tv show)
                          sigpic

Comment

A few TV shows were adapted into stage plays in the 1980s, I remember Allo Allo being one.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                            X