Mr Value - cut-price sweets and cigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Value - cut-price sweets and cigs

Does anyone remember this chain of 100 shops which operated during the late 70s and 80s in the Midlands? In 1987 they were taken over by T&S Stores who ran the Supercigs chain (all now part of Tesco). After the merger there were 300 of these Supercigs cut-price shops in the Midlands. Many of them have now been renamed Supernews.

When I left Zodiac Toys (see seperate thread) I joined this chain as operations manager. They had a great range of Pick & Mix called Mr Candy (pics to follow) More later ......
    Everything passes and vanishes, everything leaves its trace,
    Often you see in a footstep, what you could not see in a face.

again sadly not one that I remember in S-O-T but looking forward to the sweetie pics.

Then again Hanley is in the belly button of England(Midlands)?? so maybe we did?
    Last edited by Heather74; 15-02-2008, 17:46.
    Heather

Comment

Re: Mr Value - cut-price sweets and cigs

Yep i remember them we had 1 in our Arndale centre now called swansgate centre here in wellingborough lol also remember supercigs
      Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
      Those who live in the past are already repeating it.

Comment

Huggie,
        Checking my files I note the Potteries shops included Tunstall, Hanley (plus a cigs kiosk), Newcastle(2) and Longton plus nearby stores in Leek, Crewe and Macclesfield (our furthest North). They may not all have come under the Mr Value fascia. Some may have said "Mainly Cards" or even just "Cut-price cigs".

Jolima,
        Wellingborough was a busy shop ... 7th highest sales in the chain ... glad you remembered it.

Comment

These are the best images I could find so I don't know if you can pick out any favourites from these scans of the Pick and Mix bar.

Comment

Huggie - and Ziksby Cut Price Cigs was on Tontine Street next door to the back end of Mr Fruity(A 'through' shop, main entrance Parliament Row) in Hanley - remember now ??
            Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
            <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

I do remember Cut Price Cigs and we still have a Supercigs. But never been a smoker I must admitt never took much notice.
              Heather

Comment

Yes Heather, it was the same shop and as ziksby said they were taken over by Supercigs which is as you say, still there.
                Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Working...
                X