compulsory sleeping at school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: compulsory sleeping at school

Christ yes i remember having to pretend to be asleep in the fold out cot beds they gave us and i hated it.
    I was a very fidgety and energetic kid and i suppose i was disrupting the reat of the class, quite a few times i would get slapped on the legs for not going to sleep.
    It was like torcher for me! anyway after a good while i suppose i got into the routine of taking this enforced nap and then i drove my mum nuts cause id be jumping around wake half the night.
    Stupid nursery school

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
      I've worked in Nursery and Infants schools for some years and whilst a snooze still seems to happen in nursery, I have never known reception year childen to have a sleep-break. Though it wouldn't be a bad idea!
      was this only done in nursery school i never went to it.

id think by the time u leave nursey school you would not have compulsory sdleeping at school.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My Mum got told off in the late forties for talking to a younger pupil who was meant to be sleeping.

Comment

I never remember having one, even at nursery school.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Me neither, although I only did half days at nursery. Not sure if those there all day had a nap.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              Me neither, although I only did half days at nursery. Not sure if those there all day had a nap.
              it may have been something that was done in schools if the school decided to.

i sure do not remember hearing of this in any school i remember.

Comment

I don't remember it in primary but I do have images of some kids falling to sleep in the afternoons when it was story time at primary school.

Comment

My Mum did this in the wartime years - 1939 to 1945 - When the Air Raid Sirens were ongoing and disrupted childrens sleep patterns, I went to school from 1969 to 1981 and we never had sleep sessions, could do with them now though?

Comment

as this was compulsory be interesting to know when it first started in schools and when it stopped if it has now stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                      Had to do this at infant school in early sixties , anyone else remember doing it ?

What is known now as Reception so we were all 4-ish, every day after school dinner we returned to class and 'got the mats out'

For the next hour you had to lie on your mat and be still and quiet while the teacher did paperwork at desk

After first few mins of fidgeting and whispers we all settled into a doze, an hour later lights came back up and we had to put the mats back into the cupboard.

A room full of grumpy kids rubbing their eyes and whinging cos we'd been flat out and wanted to go back to sleep!!!
                      So so true this was Danny yeah. Especially on Video Afternoons or when I had Science last 2 lessons = the cons of having a Science Teacher Teaching Science who was also you Form-Teacher!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                      X