Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Centres

1. Default Music Centres

From the likes of Ferguson and Grundig, Music Centres were the height of fashion for those with absolutely no musical appreciation, but longing for a sideboard that made noises. Primarily seen as a piece of furniture, at worst they looked like a coffin, complete with lift up lid. Tucked away inside was a cheap radio, turntable and cassette player (pre-CD of course) with the speakers behind grills at each end of the front panel.The sound quality was, well, less than good shall we say, and only surpassed in awfulness by the later (much later) launch of the Amstrad 'hi-fi', whose chief attraction was the CD loader that went in and out at the touch of a button. Well, for a while at least.

More...

Default Re: Music Centres

We had a music centre, though nothing so posh as a Ferguson or Grundig. Ours was a Waltham from Woolworth's. It had a record deck, radio FM/AM and single cassette deck. I thought that the speakers were separate, or at least they were on our Waltham. It had a smoked, hinged plastic lid. It was handy for recording stuff off the radio or from record to cassette so we could hear it in the car. We got it about 1980 I would say and had it for a good 15-20 years. I can't really remember what became of it.

We had a separates hi-fi system

My Dad worked for Rank Xerox at the time' part of the Rank network

It consisted of a tuner, twin speakers with facility of two more taking stereo to quadrophonic transcription record play whish had a weighted needle arm to place & take off manual player & Akai Cassette deck

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I used to look at those separates systems in my mom's catalogue and dream about having one, but it never came to pass. I did get an Amstrad hi-fi unit for my 21st birthday, again from Woolworth's, and that is as far as my hi-fi journey got.

I remember one of my Uncles had a Teleton music centre for many years, before replacing it with a Fisher midi system.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I used to look through the window and dream of owning one of those designer / space age ones - name escapes me ..
    Something like Bosch and Laumb ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I used to look through the window and dream of owning one of those designer / space age ones - name escapes me ..
    Something like Bosch and Laumb ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Bang & Olufsen you probably mean, Bosch and Laumb make contact lenses.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I recall Music Centres in the Argos and index Catalouge's (and not wanting one as such) but being in awe of them!

What splendid and majestic bests these systems sure was (and too what memories they bring back - thionking back now to days before the net and gleaming a picture/description etc etc of any given thing at all)!!!

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Bang & Olufsen you probably mean, Bosch and Laumb make contact lenses.
    You got it .... amazing designers although they probably sounded like all the rest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They were not all bad. Some of the more upmarket ones (e.g. ITT) were built from decent components and actually pretty good. Also, the later ones from the 1980s tended to be budget models whereas earlier ones cost significantly more in real terms and were of better quality. They were not meant to be audiophile standard but for everyday use at an affordable price. If you wanted proper hi-fi then separate components were and are the way to go.