Wimpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wimpy

I have fond memories of Wimpy as my nan would take me quite a bit as a youngster, always enjoyed the food which was a bonus. I remember getting a few of these Wimpy tokens and after a few visits I had enough to exchange them for a hand puppet of the Wimpy mascot which was actually much better than it sounds and was a great toy considering I got it for a few tokens!

The last time I went was last year and I found the food was still pretty decent to be fair and the place looked exactly the same as it did all those years ago. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Wimpy, long may it live on!

Comment

Me and my mates always used to go after ice skating on Sundays. I used to love the sauce that they put on 1/4 pounders. I always had the same everytime I went. 1/4 pounder with cheese, fries, choc shake and apple pie. I think Burger King bought the Wimpys in Manchester not long after. There used to be one in Blackpool as well. On day trips there it was the first thing we did after getting off the train.

I remember one of the adds from the 80's but it doesn't seem to be on you tube. "Wimpy is the home of the hamburger with the greatest burgers under the sun". Both the customer and the staff member were rather attractive blondes. Loved that ad.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
        Knickerbocker Glories in the 70s were fantastic! They were huge and easily the best thing about Wimpy.
        MMM kmickerbocker glories, only ever had those a few trimes, they were a special treat

Visits to places like Wimpey were few and far between for me, mot for sister though who worked in one in the 70's.

There's a wimpy a couple of miles away from me at the motorway service station, I've never been though, may pay a visit one night
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

in the 70's there was ONLY Wimpy....in Doncaster no McDonalds/Burger King etc

We now have 5 McDonalds in Donny

just Googled Wimpy .....since the 2007 buyout they have re-introduced the old logo used 1960-80's, and gone back to the old trad. colours of red & white. Hurrah!

Wish more co's would use 'older' stuff..logos, ads etc
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I can't remember if the Burger King in Stockport was ever a Wimpy, I know a lot of Wimpys became Burger Kings at the end of the 1980s.

The last old school Wimpy I saw was in Northamptonshire over 10 years ago. I read there was a buy-out of some of them when the rest became Burger Kings.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
              MMM kmickerbocker glories, only ever had those a few trimes, they were a special treat

Visits to places like Wimpey were few and far between for me, mot for sister though who worked in one in the 70's.

There's a wimpy a couple of miles away from me at the motorway service station, I've never been though, may pay a visit one night
              Don't do it HG! I had a burger at a motorway services Wimpy a couple of months ago and it was revolting!
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Thanks for the warning Kaz, may leave them confined to memory
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

If you want a nice burger, hit up your chippy if they do them - freshly done.

Mmmmmm.

Down West Bay on the south coast, there's a small stand run by a Frenchman that makes the most awesome burger I've ever had...

Comment

That's just lazy. make your own. Half lamb mince, half beef mince. Lovely
                    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post

We used to have a Wimpy in Parkway in Camden. Loved it in there. You could get a mixed grill, which consisted of half their menu on one plate, then follow it up with either a Brown Derby, a Knickerbocker Glory, or a Banana Long Boat, where they split the banana lengthwise and filled it with sugary goodness.
                      Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

My mum used to take us shopping (mainly food shopping - we carried the bags home) in a local town. There was a Wimpy there but she never took us there as it was "too expensive". One day she couldn't take us so my dad had to, us kids had hatched a plan and as we got to Wimpy we told dad that "mum always takes us there for lunch" so he did. When we got home he contronted mum about why she always takes us there as it's so bloody expensive. I can't remember if we got in trouble for it or not though.

I love the concept of sitting down to eat your Wimpy and chips on a plate with a knife and fork. I still to this day always cut my burgers in half to eat them if they arrive on a plate, ala Wimpy.

Comment

We must have the only Wimpy left in the world!!!!Haven't had one for ages,but I love then.

tulip

Comment

their website says there is one on Doncaster, but for the life of me I can't think where it is....must be inside 'another' building of some sort
                            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

they better still have Wimpy in England or im sending letters to the Queen to complain, Ive been craving it for like 12yrs. its one of the first places going when I finally get there to visit again.
                              that and the Little Chef restaurants, loooooooooooved little chef, always the best part of the trip.

Comment

How many Little Chefs are still open? I remember a lot closed down a few years ago.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X