Action Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Action Man

This is a custom of an outfit Palitoy had pictured in their 1981 trade catalogue, but the outfit was never made. I feel stores ordered more of the Panzer Captain compared to this, as they are similar to a degree in terms of accessories. Also, kids like villainous black! The outfit was altered to become the Afrika Korps Lance Corporal soldier though...

All of this, bar the scarf is vintage...One of my favourite customs.

Comment

Custom German Henkel Bomber Pilot...all vintage.

Comment

Custom German Kriegsmarine (Navy)...all 40th...

Comment

I have done an S.S. custom, but didn't post pics as I wouldn't want to offend anyone - it is still a contraversial thing, certain aspects of that era. If anyone (quite rightly) objects I won't post it, but if anyone wants to see it I will post it. It isn't my celebrating such a thing as the Holocaust and the S.S. involvement but rather I decided to see what a Vintage Action Man would have looked like had such an outfit been made.

Comment

Custom WW2 British 8th Army - 'Dessert Rat'...

Comment

'Internationals ' German Paratroopers. 'Internationals' was a Palitoy range of pocket - money basic outfits - jacket, helmet, trousers, boots only. You could add whatever you wanted to the outfits to complete them, as is the case here, or with the Russian I posted earlier. Many collectors add the rare Last Issue German Stormtrooper 'Y' harness webbing to this outfit, I decided to add under tunics - one has a Stormtroopers and the other a spare Luftwaffe Pilots tunic, which is more correct as Para's are always part of the Airforce really...either way, you get loads of variations among collectors with this one...The one on the left was my first one bought in the late 90s...all vintage though save the darker repro Schmeisser MP38/40 machine gun the blonde one has on the right.

Comment

Those stick grenades?

Comment

Yeah. I think the Brits nicknamed them 'potato mashers' in WW2, because you could literally use them for that when making dinner!

Comment

Yeah. I believe the Germans attached sticks to them so that they could throw them further. Steilgranate or something. I learn that from videogames. EDUCATIONAL and fun.

Comment

Same with me, but it was old war comics that taught me a lot about WW2, the uniforms, regiments, equipment and whatnot...then when I started collecting Action Man I began to look into what was what, insignias, weaponry, etc. A good example is if you've ever seen The Great Escape, the German guards and officers have different insignia - reds and yellows on their collars, same with the eagle emblems being different, not in profile but in a sort of swooping down pose. Denoting them as Luftwaffe, red for Artillery battalions and yellow for Airforce and Paratroops, green for Field/Ground Troops. I learnt that Hitler was stupid to stop using battle hardened crack Paras for battles but instead...for guarding Airforce P.O.W.s...I'd be curious to know why the uniforms were different to the usual Jerries in field grey with white collar insignias so found out about it. Same goes for the Action Man Jerry, he has red collar insignia and red piping to his epaulettes...Artillery section.

Comment

I just realised I put learn instead of learned. I truly am an idiot. o\

I think it's amazing how much detail they put into certain toys. I have a Jaguar diecast car that was the same as what one of my uncles acquired in the early 00's, so out of interest when he came around to mine I went and got it and we both walked around the real thing with the model. The model car was so accurate it even had the same amount of dials on the radio. The detail even matched the stitching on the seat. It was incredible.

Comment

You're right and those old toy cars are worth a bit of money now especially if still in their boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                            You're right and those old toy cars are worth a bit of money now especially if still in their boxes.
                            Saw some lovely boxed/carded Matchbox/Corgi/Dinky on Flog It yesterday...was surprised that the collection didn't sell for much...guess the wrong collectors crowd were in that day.

Palitoy really put great detail into their Cermonials range - the Lifeguards, Blues & Royals, Royal Hussar, 17th/21st Lancers, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders all being prime examples...looking at them I'm amazed they were made for small boys back then - what with such delicate parts...

You can also say the same of the heyday of toy cars - Dinky and Corgi really knew how to put detailing into them back then - todays toys cars for kids really are just pieces of cheap alloy mix really. However, Corgis - Vanguards range for adult collectors really are the true successors to the halcyon days of toy cars - but they lack all those opening doors etc and are way too expensive sadly. Corgi and Matchbox aren't as great as they used to be sadly today.

Comment

Some great looking action men there.I think the German Panzer captain came a bit too close to the SS uniform for many people when it was released.I know that they used to distort or alter the German insignia a bit on the uniforms.Do you have any ceremonial costumes,these were always good.Particularly the scotsman.There was one I remember in red tunic and brestplate.Looked great on the black charger they released.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                                Some great looking action men there.I think the German Panzer captain came a bit too close to the SS uniform for many people when it was released.I know that they used to distort or alter the German insignia a bit on the uniforms.Do you have any ceremonial costumes,these were always good.Particularly the scotsman.There was one I remember in red tunic and brestplate.Looked great on the black charger they released.

I've got all of those via the 40th range - you mean the Argyll & Sutherland Highlander and the Lifeguards or 'The Reds' as they are also known. Otherwise wouldn't have been possible as perfect originals still cost a packet!

Comment

Working...
                                X