Action Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Action Man

This is an Action Team outfit. French Officer. There were many foreign licencees to manufacturing their own version of G.I.JOE or ACTION MAN, ACTION TEAM was from West Germany and was more like the 1970s G.I.JOE ADVENTURE TEAM, i.e. not as militaristic but with some army outfits...The person I bought it from added the caption 'sorry but sold' on the forum I bought it from...lol.

German S.S. custom:

Comment

British Infantry Major. I bought this outfit mint on card - and then promptly opened it

Battyrat - take a good look at this uniform - thin matierial, unhemmed stiffened pocket flaps, fabric stuck on insignia on the tunic, hallmarks of last issue items from the 1980s. An outfit like this is very hard to find in very good condition due to the matierial and cost cuts Palitoy made by then...

Late issue British Army Officer and Royal Military Police: The first issues of these outfits had more realistic heavy weight twill cotton
      tunics and trews...

Comment

British Infantryman with Carl Gustav Rocket Launcher.Very rare. Palitoy made this outfit shortly before The Falklands War. Its modelled on the (then) style of British Soldier:

Late Issue German Stormtrooper. Alternate version - prior to making their redesigned Stormtrooper (see below),
        Palitoy added the Afrika Korps equipment to the existing outfit and made this:

This is what collectors called the Last Issue German Stormtrooper - again Battyrat have a good look mate - compare the tunic to say a 40th reissue of this outfit and you'll discern differences in the way the reproductions pockets were sewn...

Comment

Afrika Korps:

Helicopter Pilot:

Comment

I will certainly be looking out for those small details.The material certainly looks a lot thinner.Just obtained a front liners basic soldiers uniform from about 1978 onwards and it is very thin.The Uniforms were certainly had better material in the earlier part of the 70's.The stitching also sticks out a lot more in the later uniforms.Hmm..stick on insignia won't last long in childrens hands either.Certainly worth looking out for good quality pieces.

It was indeen the Argyll and sutherland Highlanders and the Lifeguards I was thinking of.I really loved the Lifeguard uniform as a child.It was my number one want.Eventually I found a kid who had the uniform but wanted my new frogmans outfit.So we done a swap for it.His mother brought it into school the next day for me.But it was only half the uniform.He had decided to keep the better bits back and removed them from the bag before his mum took it.I never was able to get those parts and could not get back my frogmans outfit either.Possibly the biggest action man dissapointment I had as a kid.

I saw on the internet yesterday an action man space ship.I had to stop and think back as it rang a bell or two but eventually realised it was simply a copy of the six million dollar man spaceship my neighbours boy had in the 70's but in diffrent colours.I did not expect to see an item released for the six million dollar man to be reissued for action man/G.I Joe.

Comment

Kenner Parker Toys was the US sister company of Palitoy UK, both owned by General Mills Products Corporation USA who owned and still owns many many subsidiaries like Quaker, Kraft Foods etc. They bought Parker Brothers Toys in the 1970s and so thats the reason why Kenners 6 Million Dollar Man shuttle or ROM SPACE KNIGHT came to become part of the Action Man - Space Ranger series in 1979/80 to 81 and perhaps toward the very end of Palitoy production on Action Man in 1984.

The Six Million Dollar Man Bionic Mission Vehicle became the Space Rangers Solar Hurricane circa 1980/81.

General Mills sold off all its UK subsidiaries, divesting itself completely of its toy companies including Kenner - Parker which they merged, Palitoy etc and also left the UK food market, selling off many of its food company brands especially to Nestle. They eventually created an accord with Nestle whereby the US marketing and distribution of say, Cheerios were G.M./Nabisco whereas the UK/EU was done by Nestle. Hence say Nestle now owning Shreddies and its by products in the UK/EU...Shame really as G.M. were a good company in terms of food and quality of its products. Kenner - Parker were bought up by Hasbro in the early 1990s around the time G.M. were selling off its remaining toy companies in the USA. Kenner also owned the Tonka brand which, along with the prized Star Wars, Batman brands Hasbro had been eyeing up for many many years.

Towards the end of Palitoy, they became known as The Palitoy Company and any consumer reference was under the Kenner Parker name, addressed to their old Owen Street, Leics offices where Palitoy had once been. Kenner Parker became more and more prominent as a brand name in the UK opposed to the Palitoy name, i.e. M.A.S.K. was a BIG seller in the UK by 1986 and even handling of Action Force was done via Kenner Parker...a sad end for Palitoy, the company had once been hailed as the Top Toy Retailer of the year at one point in the 1970s and Action Man as the No 1 toy among the Toy Retailers Association in the UK.

Comment

Working...
              X