Horror make up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horror make up

Did anyone else on here get a kit of this? It must have been around 1982-83 and was bought from one of the many mail order catalogues. I'm fairly certain it must have been a well known brand but can't remember what it was. It contained fake blood, small make up crayons and various bits and bobs. Best of all though was the "Flex Flesh" powder mix that was in there. You could make all sorts of scatrs and wounds from the supplied templates. If anyone has any pictures of the box of this (slim chance i know) please let me see it again

Re: Horror make up

The kit referred to is the Dick Smith horror make-up kit, probably out well before 82-3. Think I had one in the 70s? IIRC it was a fairly comprehensive kit, in a board game sized box. No pic I'm afraid.

The blood was very good, much better than the usual joke shop variety. The Flex Flesh never really worked that well for me though so my make-up creations were somewhat lacking. :cry:

Just found that the mould trays are still in production!
    http://www.alconeco.com/products/ems...p_out_of_stock

The ones in my kit were black, but the same moulds.

(Dick Smith is one of the great make-up artists and achieved some main stream fame after "The Exorcist" in 1973.)
    Last edited by Catweazle; 12-03-2008, 20:09.

Comment

Wow excellent Catweazle
      not found a photo yet, but there was one up for sale on ebay a few years back, sadly all the pictures have expired but here is the write up, There's a list of contents that may bring back memories. Oh and it dates it for us too.

"RARE 1976 PRESSMAN MOVIE "HORROR MAKE-UP" WITH EXCLUSIVE "FLEX FLESH". TRANSFORM YOURSELF INTO HUNDREDS OF HORRIBLE CREATURES. CREATED BY DICK SMITH, THE FAMOUS MAKE UP ARTIST FOR THE EXORCIST, THE GODFATHER AND OTHERS. THIS KIT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN ANY CONDITION. THIS IS AS CLOSE TO A MINT IN THE BOX ONE YOU COULD FIND. IN THESE KITS THE PARTS WHERE MEANT TO BE USED WHICH MAKES THEM HARD TO FIND COMPLETE. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND YOU WILL SEE THAT THIS KIT WAS USED VERY LITTLE. INCLUDED ARE: SEVEN MOLD PIECES (PERFECT), MAKE-UP AND SPIRIT GUM REMOVER (FULL), MAKE-UP SPONGE AND PAPER STUMP (NEVER USED), MAKE-UP STICKS AND PENCIL (USED A LITTLE), ANTI DRYING AGENT, SPIRT GUM (MINT STILL SEALED), MEASURING SPOONS (MINT), SPREADER (PERFECT), MAKE-UP BLOOD(BOTTLE AND LABLE VERY GOOD BUT BLOOD LEAKED OUT), FLEX FLESH BAG( HAS BEEN OPENED AND THE REST OF CONTAINS ARE IN PLASTIC BAG), PLASTIC TRAY"
      Heather

Comment

I had this, got it from Argos and I might still have it at my mothers house, I will look and post piccies if it is still there. The 'flex flesh' was just gelatin and us to melt off of you when applied to your skin as it warmed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
          I had this, got it from Argos and I might still have it at my mothers house, I will look and post piccies if it is still there. The 'flex flesh' was just gelatin and us to melt off of you when applied to your skin as it warmed up.

LOL That's the stuff. I badgered my mum for an eternity to get me this for christmas, and when i finally did i got told off for leaving such a mess everywhere.

Comment

I remember flex - flesh well. I think i still have the box from my kit sitting in my basement. I know I still have the molds. I recently found out what the flex flesh power really is... its gelatine. The anti drying agent is nothing more than glycerine. When I get home from work in a few days I'll take that picture for you and post it.

Comment

I still have this kit. There were two that were produced, I have the less expensive one. I also have the gorilla make-up kit as well. I just took these out of the attic this afternoon to show my son. I searched to see if I can still get the Flex-Flesh and came across this forum. If you want to see pics of the molds, I'll post them. If I use them for Halloween this year, I post the results.

Comment

Pictures would be fantastic I'd love to see them thanks. Welcome to DYR
                Heather

Comment

I have the Horror make-up kit and also the cheaper later version which was called 'Scary Faces'. The problem I found with the Flex-flesh was that if you got the mixture wrong the flex flesh would go rock hard and certainly not flexible, but if you got it right the kit was great fun. I never really did many make-up experiments with the kit, maybe if I can find some more flex-flesh I'll give it another go.

Heres a pictures from my 1979 Argos catalogue.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sixtyten; 06-10-2008, 00:54.

Comment

Don't think I have the '79 Argos catalogue. Would it be possible to post the toy section here??

Comment

Yes I don't see why not, I'll try and get it all scanned tomorrow. What catalogues to you have Daz? Do you have any with the Haunted House game in? also Scream Inn and any other monster/horror toys?

Comment

Comment

I had the first one in sixty's pics, although it was one of those things that came in the same category as a magic kit, very impressive on xmas day but then couldn't really be bothered with reading the instructions.
                          I do remember giving the flex flesh a go and seem to remember in coming out quite hard and grainy.
                          sigpic

Comment

I always wanted a horror make up kit when i was growing up,but never managed to get one.It's great to read peoples reviews of them now.If i had the spare cash,i would buy a couple of kits now,and have a jolly good play with them LOL.

Comment

Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X