Road Safety stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Road Safety stuff

He was a big chap.My dad said he was a west country champion body builder in the 60s/70s. He looks quite menacing but talks like one of the Wurzels.
    Frame.
    (a bit like myself)
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Is he back in Bristol now?
      I know he lived in Croydon, as his two sons were at my school.
      I hear he's in a bad way health wise, maybe thats why he's gone back to his hometown.
      I seem to recall he was in dispute with the Star Wars makers for years, as they would not allow him to do appearances as Darth Vader for a while.
      Said he was infringing their copyright

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
        Is he back in Bristol now?
        I know he lived in Croydon, as his two sons were at my school.
        I hear he's in a bad way health wise, maybe thats why he's gone back to his hometown.
        I seem to recall he was in dispute with the Star Wars makers for years, as they would not allow him to do appearances as Darth Vader for a while.
        Said he was infringing their copyright
        My husband was good mates with one of his sons! Small world.

Comment

Also, did you ever see him in series one of The Tomorrow People? Sprayed gold, with alarmingly metallic looking nipples. I think he was in the adventure called "Slaves of Jedikiah". He was an android called Coppin, and didn't say much, except for "Coppin obey" when his baddie master gave him an order.

He was also in A Clockwork Orange, he looked after/carried the bloke who'd been savagely beaten while his wife was being raped.

Comment

Originally posted by mazzer View Post
            My husband was good mates with one of his sons! Small world.
            .. It is a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
            Which son? I knew James quite well, but not the other (Stephen?)

Comment

It was definitely Steve. Husband says Dave's chest was ENORMOUS, and he almost gave himself a hernia trying to lift one of Dave's dumbells!

Comment

As David Baddiel pointed out some years ago, the Green Cross Man concept was quite odd when you thought about it. One minute we'd be watching a safety film warning us not to speak to strangers, the next you'd see a bunch of kids being waylaid by a muscular man in green tights...

Comment

Can anyone remember plastic reflector discs? Aim was to pin them to your coat so you didn't get knocked over, back in the days before reflective 3M material came about. I had an old yellow one from somewhere but the ones from school were better - white with a red triangle on the front.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember my brother having one of those white ones with a triangle on, it had a string on & was worn like a medal.

Almost the same logo was used by a short progamme normally on Sunday afternoons, presented by Jimmy Saville. I can't remember the title but it was post clunk-click.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                      on similar lines.....on telly last week I saw one of the old 'emergency services' cartoon ads..the coastguard one

not seen it for years...its the one with a (Yorkshire-sounding) man & (rather plump!) wife having a picnic on the beach....there's a chap out in the sea, waving frantically to get help. Cue various comedy remarks.."eeh he's waving but I don't know him".... "Maybe its that nice Mr ... from the camp" etc etc

top stuff!

Dave
                      That wasn't the "Look it's a dinghy ... a sailing dinghy ..." ?

Comment

What about the "wear something white at night" campaign (probably early 70's) ... I remember getting all kitted out one particular night ... white coat, white hat, white pants, shoes the lot .... got hit by a snow plough.

Comment

I used to have a Tufty squirrel board game which was about road safety, think there was a hedgehog character too.

Comment

Working...
                          X