X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Safety stuff

Its great!
    Its Brill!

I just been to work canteen for a coffee and they are having a road safety awareness week with loads of posters etc

We got Alvin Stardust, Green Cross Man, Tufty and Joe Brown posters and little video clips of the old safety campaigns playing on four screens

I could have hung around just staring all day but boss was waiting for me

Re: Road Safety stuff

Sounds cool!!
    sigpic

Comment

we had the green cross man 'David Prowse' or the bloke who was wearing the Darth Vadar suit in Star Wars.
      I remember having a 7" single given to all the kids in our school, it went something like
      "Hey, it's Mr safety here, when I'm around you've got nothing to fear, just take heed to all that I say and you'll live to walk on home another day".
      -can't remember who sang it but it was quite catchy.

Comment

on similar lines.....on telly last week I saw one of the old 'emergency services' cartoon ads..the coastguard one

not seen it for years...its the one with a (Yorkshire-sounding) man & (rather plump!) wife having a picnic on the beach....there's a chap out in the sea, waving frantically to get help. Cue various comedy remarks.."eeh he's waving but I don't know him".... "Maybe its that nice Mr ... from the camp" etc etc

top stuff!

Dave
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

There are loads of great theads on road safety and PIFS on the forum.(just pop road safety or public information into the search)
          Thought you might like this one Dave
          https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/s...hlight=updated
          Last edited by Heather74; 17-04-2008, 19:19.
          Heather

Comment

I think the old safety films were a bit deep.
            they were quite frightening for kids in my opinion.

Comment

They did the trick though! I wouldn't go anywhere near electric pylons or electric substations, didn't speak to strangers and had plenty of road sense.
              They may have been a little frightening but they worked!(IMO)
              Heather

Comment

A while back I got a DVD called "Charley Says". On this is loads and loads of the old public information clips/films etc. Its excellent viewing and well worth a purchase. Below is the link to it.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/156564/Charley-Says-Vols-1-2/Product.html
                Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                  on similar lines.....on telly last week I saw one of the old 'emergency services' cartoon ads..the coastguard one

not seen it for years...its the one with a (Yorkshire-sounding) man & (rather plump!) wife having a picnic on the beach....there's a chap out in the sea, waving frantically to get help. Cue various comedy remarks.."eeh he's waving but I don't know him".... "Maybe its that nice Mr ... from the camp" etc etc

top stuff!

Dave
                  Next time you see it, look closely. As mentioned in the one of the other threads it's a new version. There's all sorts of 21st century updates in there and it must have been a fair bit of work to do all again, so faithfully to the original. Even so, I was probably more surprised to actually see a PIF on prime-time Saturday evening ITV again! I reckon Harry Hill had a say in that

And I second a recommendation for 'Charlie Says'. Not only is it a nostalgic blast to see Alvin Stardust telling you how to cross the road, again but watching the whole thing is like seeing a social history of the UK. It was really funny having a film telling older drivers that they should watch the young 'ens because they did things right and actually read the new road signs!

Comment

1970's Tick a Tee the Beacon Bee
                    Heather

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Dave Prowse was the green cross code fella,before this he was a bouncer at the Glen night club in Bristol where my dad used to go.Heard a few stories about him (not for this forum though)
                            Frame.
                            "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

When David Prowse came here it was to promote Return of the Jedi(may have done some road safety stuff too)He was in Gateway dressed as Darth Vadar and scared the bejesus out my mum!

tulip

Comment

Working...
                              X